Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way in tonight, (coming out of town) on the dual carriageway between kilmianham and the N4 I see lights coming up behind me fast, thinking it was the Gardai, I pulled into the left lane to let them pass,...it was a mini cooper 02 plate.

I dropped a gear just after he went past and levelled with him just to show I could easily finish it if I wanted to, then eased off as there was a serious amount of surface water on the road (more for his sake than mine). We came up to the last lights with him in front of me, he ripped off the line I eased in behind him, keeping pace some 6-10 car lengths behind then easily accelerated past again just to put him back in his box, then I eased off again - I was waiting for the N4 (motorway) to finish it...and again serious amount of water on the roads.

Sadly on the last left hand turn (again I was 6-10 car lengths behind) before joining the motorway he decides to put his foot all the way down and yup back started to go out, I thought he had corrected it when he veered off to the left, over the dividing kurb, into the oncoming lane (thankfully road was empty at almost 1am) and slowly slammed into the barrier on the opposite side, his bumper half hanging off, I gave him a serious glare, I would imagine one of, if not both his front wheels well and truly smashed.

It wasn't safe for me to stop to tell him what a flaming idiot he was, and I didn't call the guards (police) just toodled home.

Perhaps I should have, but it wasn't a serious impact I'm sure the driver would have been conscious, it's not like he rolled or anything which he easily could have, pure luck he went into that kerb almost head on.

Note to any slower car drivers out there, if you see someone driving a much faster car than you and they ease off on a corner, there's a reason why, dumby!

I almost felt bad for a minute, then I hit a few swallows of jim beam, the world is right now.

Cheers,

RLander.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just being foolish, I slowed down quick enough it was noticeable and he put his foot further down.

utter genius. Wont be driving to work tomorrow that;s for sure, as it is a 02 plate mini cooper and given the damage, depending on mileage might be scrapping it.

·
Super Moderator
11,594 Posts
They think that noise = speed.

Bet he had one of these installed

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Good friend has a Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 that I will be storing for a while. Does have the nicest dash I've ever seen in a Mini.

Of course will have to be careful, remember a long time ago wearing boots and hitting all three pedals with one foot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,919 Posts
Know what you mean Russell.

Had a Scooby Do take off in front of me last night.
Not impressed by him at all.

I could easily have taught a lesson in acceleration except...
we were in a 20, built up area, kids walking home from school, parked cars etc etc.
Dunno what speed he hit before pinching his seat when a car pulled out.
He was well over 40mph.

·
Premium Member
14,813 Posts
Always loved the Innocenti. My Friend owned one back in the Days in Germany. It was a perfect car back than to raise HeLL with them BMW/Mercedes/Audi Drivers..We hung on there Bumpers like a Flea dipped in Super Glue......:laugh::laugh: And yes that dash to this day makes me smile.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My mother has a '67 Cooper S in British Racing Green and the previous owner had done up the dashboard (made a nice walnut panel in place of the shelf) with oil pressure, rev counter, nice switches etc etc. I was 15 at the time and begged her not to sell it so I could have it.......sadly my dad decided that a Austin Healy Sprite would be more sensible for a woman with 4 kids.......go figure....

·
Registered
300 Posts
'We came up to the last lights with him in front of me, he ripped off the line I eased in behind him, keeping pace some 6-10 car lengths behind then easily accelerated past again just to put him back in his box'

It wasn't safe for me to stop to tell him what a flaming idiot he was, and I didn't call the guards (police) just toodled home.

Perhaps I should have, but it wasn't a serious impact I'm sure the driver would have been conscious, it's not like he rolled or anything which he easily could have, pure luck he went into that kerb almost head on.
So RLander you have admitted to:

1. Racing on the public highway.
2. Failing to stop at the scene of an accident.
3. Failing to call for assistance.

:frown:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry but you've lost me here. Why was this necessary?
I dropped a gear just after he went past and levelled with him just to show I could easily finish it if I wanted to
Particularly in view of this....
there was a serious amount of surface water on the road
It doesn't appear from your post that the other driver did anything annoying to warrant your reprisal other than to overtake you. How dare he committ such outrageous behaviour on a public road! Sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Posting your antics on a public forum is not the brightest thing to do. As has already been said you have admitted to at least three breaches of motoring law, and leaving another driver at the scene of an accident that you have certainly played a part in developing is deplorable in my view.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry but you've lost me here. Why was this necessary?

Particularly in view of this....

It doesn't appear from your post that the other driver did anything annoying to warrant your reprisal other than to overtake you. How dare he committ such outrageous behaviour on a public road! Sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Posting your antics on a public forum is not the brightest thing to do. As has already been said you have admitted to at least three breaches of motoring law, and leaving another driver at the scene of an accident that you have certainly played a part in developing is deplorable in my view.

Yes because me slowing right down way before the corner he lost it on clearly MADE him think;

"Well he's slowed right down I HAVE to slam my foot down on the accelerator around this corner where there's clearly loads of surface water!!!"

It was not safe for me to stop, if it were I would have.

Thanks for your opinion sir, everyone has one, some more valid than others.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for your opinion sir, everyone has one, some more valid than others.
Fair comment indeed. After all who am I to judge the driving standards/ethics of others? I have surely made my share of mistakes.
However by posting on a public forum and admitting your transgressions of the law (for that is surely what you have done), you necessarily invite comment and opinion, and judgement as well based on what you have written. That is the raison d'etre of forums such as this.
Did you expect a pat on the back? :grin:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Those who live in glass houses............

I cannot criticise.....I may have done something similar at some point in my life......it is always very tempting when you have idiot boy racers who want to see how they go against you.......

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fair comment indeed. After all who am I to judge the driving standards/ethics of others? I have surely made my share of mistakes.
However by posting on a public forum and admitting your transgressions of the law (for that is surely what you have done), you necessarily invite comment and opinion, and judgement as well based on what you have written. That is the raison d'etre of forums such as this.
Did you expect a pat on the back? :grin:
Fair.

I shall share no more driving stories at all at all at all.

except maybe at slk group meets.

Cheers,

RLander.

·
Registered
300 Posts
"Well, you see officer, I was mindin' me own business driving home in the rain, when this eejit in a Mercedes starts hasslin' me. After I overtook him, he chased me to the traffic lights, d'ya see. Then he overtakes me only to brake hard - and I lost it and spun onto the opposite side of the road, givin' the kerb a mighty clout"

"Didn't he even stop to see how you were?"

"No sorr, he did not - just went on his way"

"Well now, that's not so good now. What was he driving?"

"I think it was an old school SLK - perhaps it was blue?"

"We'll keep an eye out for him, to be sure. Not many of those around here these days.... Hope you're out of hospital soon"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.