Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

My 2001 320 idiot oil light went on then off twice while driving through a canyon road, it was only on for a few minutes and currently is off.

I checked the oil and it looked low so i added a quart, took it to my mechanic since it was changed by him about a month ago and he said it might come on if oil is low or too much. he checked and added about another half quart, and told me to drive it and keep an eye on oil level. I have not seen any leaks but it seems to be low for the amount of miles i drive the car. any ideas from the group, i hope its not burnning or leaking:confused:

ps is synthetic oil always used with the 320?R)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Do you the old fashioned dipstick in the 320 engine? Check the oil level on level ground after letting it sit overnight in protected structure (e.g. garage). Do this perhaps 2-4 days apart and see what the engine oil level is like.

Reactions: garagegods

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sometimes you can tell if you are burning oil by putting your finger in the tail pipe and looking at the residue. If it is burning much oil it will be black and sooty. Compare what you find to another car that isn't using oil.

My SLK320 does not use any oil. I use Mobil 1 0W40.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dipstick

Do you the old fashioned dipstick in the 320 engine? Check the oil level on level ground after letting it sit overnight in protected structure (e.g. garage). Do this perhaps 2-4 days apart and see what the engine oil level is like.

Thanks for the advice sounds good:biglaugh: the 320 does have an old fashioned dipstick that is very hard to read or see the level:td: your method of checking sounds effective.

Your car is beautiful if i could afford one id get a 55:tu:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i am in trouble

Sometimes you can tell if you are burning oil by putting your finger in the tail pipe and looking at the residue. If it is burning much oil it will be black and sooty. Compare what you find to another car that isn't using oil.

My SLK320 does not use any oil. I use Mobil 1 0W40.

Thanks for the advice and now that you mention tail pipe, I have noticed black residue on the tailpipe:tazz: Does this mean i am looking at a major engine rebuild:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
These motors are pretty bullet proof. I would not worry about a little oil burning. My Guess is that he did not put enough in from the change and your light came on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i was thinking

These motors are pretty bullet proof. I would not worry about a little oil burning. My Guess is that he did not put enough in from the change and your light came on.

:biglaugh: Thanks Chris,

i was just thinking the same thing lastnight, i bet whoever did the change didnt fill oil completely for fear of over filling, the dipstick in these things is really hard to read but now i know a little more:rb I am first time benz owner and just learned that i should check oil after change and more often. I am a honda owner also and i never check anything.

I love my 320 and want it to last also learning more and more each day thanks to this site:usa:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.