Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Like others and with my own Adhd issues, I unfortunately go down the all too familiar rabbit hole in the forums with everyone's differing mods when I am looking for something in particular.

I'm not one for high modifications and i only have massive respect and wish I had the same free cash to do what some of you have achieved.

I would really appreciate it, if there was a sticky for upgrades to standard consumable parts, so that those of us wishing to spend a little more at those times when components require replacing, could go to this one section and glean insight from all of you highly experienced and knowledgeable folk and slowly make our cars a bit more fun, whilst not overlooking the safety aspect.

1. My wife's SLK350 (320hp variant) needs new brakes, there are old posts about big brake kits and really expensive sports ones, where the outlay is thousands for a cheaper replacement disk cost moving forward. I would like to know if there is a reliable, lighter rotational weight option, that isn't going to cost the earth, given its already a 10 year old car and I don't think that we would get near recouping the cost of the outlay of the expensive sports/cheaper disk replacement option.

I would love some help and advice please..

Thanks and Happy New Year, to you all!!
Jon

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,180 Posts
To be quite honest, because there are soooooo many possible mods out there I think it would be exactly the same situation as we have now: still need to do a search to find what you're looking for.

Having them in one thread? Well, I doubt that would help in a search. The way we have it divided now (R170, R171, R172) with their own sections seems to work best.

Now, having said that developments are in the works for individual member to set up in their own profiles that sort of thing (Special Build Projects, etc) but as to whether it will be implemented remains to be seen.

BTW, I am moving this thread to the Community Feedback thread as it would apply to all model lines and not just yours (ie 171),

It would be a fundamental change to the way the forum is set up.

NOW, having said that , it is only my opinion and not that of the PTB. Others can chime in and voice their opinion as to whether it would be better than what we have now. After all, that's what this whole thread is about: voicing ideas and concerns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Len, for moving the post. I did um and ah over the appropriate section.

I do totally get what you are saying and I agree that just having it as a standard thread section would provide no further improvement... especially as there is a lot of additional info in signatures

Personally I love this forum, I would like to throw some ideas around to aid, I am certainly not wishing to step on any toes and I'm certain that you guys have had numerous discussions over the years.

Caveat, My php/forum knowledge is 12 years out of date and I may make mistakes with the terminology, however an idea I thought of while re-attempting to look at the brakes today, was, is it possible and does it aid usefulness if :-

The sticky was created, then add a poll for e.g. Brakes with Direct cost, >150%, >200%, >400% (I.e. the quick reference bang for your buck bit, so people can skip to that particular section for that consumable themselves)

Then first section under the poll would continue the'Brake' section and would detail the std MB part and cost, with direct cost alternatives. On the right hand side to this section would have a star rating for 'improvement' where 'example only' 1 star would be 0-5%, 2 star would be 5-10%, 3 star 10-15%, 4 star 15-20% and 5 star above 20% "improvement" which could be based then on the differing criteria for that consumable. Yes it's subjective, but as with anything in life there's going to be compromise

Then the 150%, 200% and 400% cost alternative sections follow on would have the same layout as the above, list manufacturers and the range from manufacturer and again have the star rating which is based on that overall sections 'improvement' rating.

Then rinse and repeat for consumables, air filter, lights, etc, etc...

You could possibly use this in the performance section for those willing to spend more..

Anyway, just an initial idea, I really hope this is recieved in a positive manner..

Clearly this would need to proogate over time with member input.

Jon

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,679 Posts
No problem with adding ideas, Jon.

Polls can be misleading.
Prices today, will not be the same in say 5 years.
As an example.
Second hand (breakers parts) can sometimes cost more than dealership oem. (Notably on bodywork).

We were in the process of reorganising the various sections when they announced the November update.
For the R171, I am trying to goup diys in eg electrical sections.
This is on hold until we have a stable forum (1st quarter 2020, we hope).
The above may go some way toward your plan, as I intend to link non diys that are relevant into the diy.

For UK.
Sites like Europarts often offer discounts (up to 50%).
Many have ordered parts in advance of needing them (typically brake parts), to benefit from lower prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we can all agree that there is never going to be a 100% foolproof answer to aid user experience given the vastness of upgrades :) loving the fact you guys are continually improving.

The basis of the idea with the polling was that it would provide a generically speaking collated opinion on 'you will get a better bang for your Buck in' insert applicable section I.e. Brakes' spending 200% or double the cost of MB standard with these particular brands and model type.

Whilst you cannot account for an individuals 'modicum of sense' if the particular link they looked at was 7 years out of date, but the individual was happy to spend double the cost, I would of thought that generically speaking they should have a starting point, could appropriately research for the alternative to that product and that they would nearly in all cases be actually getting a replacement part that would actually perform better than the 'Improvement Star' rating applicable to that category.. They could then update with a link to what they found and their experience?

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts