Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am going to the British Superbike at Knockhill in early July with some biker mates, hope they can keep up >:D

Afterwards we want to spend a few days taking in great roads and scenery, anybody got any suggestions?

My wife wants to stay overlooking a loch, so I had thought about heading to Inverness through the Cairngorms then down to a hotel at Fort Augustus overlooking Loch Ness. Not sure after that.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,462 Posts
Hi, I am going to the British Superbike at Knockhill in early July with some biker mates, hope they can keep up >:D

Afterwards we want to spend a few days taking in great roads and scenery, anybody got any suggestions?

My wife wants to stay overlooking a loch, so I had thought about heading to Inverness through the Cairngorms then down to a hotel at Fort Augustus overlooking Loch Ness. Not sure after that.

Any input would be appreciated.
Hi Dave, I went on a bit of a tour of Scotland myself although it was 11 years ago. I spent a few days in the Cairn gorms based at Aviemore and drove to Inverness and then down the west shore of Loch Ness and on through Glen Coe to the Isle of Skye where the scenery was spectacular and the roads were very quiet! On the way to Skye via Kyle of Lochalsh you can visit Eileen Donan Castle (used in Highlander). The Skye bridge is now free I believe!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Head for Ullapool then go North. You won`t be disappointed.
Go along the top to Wick then South to Inverness.
A9 North of Perth is a drag now with the average speed cameras.
A82 Fort William via Glen Coe , spectacular, but watch out for speed cameras and unmarked cars. It`s a tempting road.
I`ve driven all these roads.
A few years ago I took my MX5 from Glasgow-Inverness-Wick-Durness- Ullapool- Skye -Glasgow...Memorable Road trip.
I took in this road on my way down the West coast..it`s a must.Check out Youtube: Bealach na Bà.

Recently I took the road from Inverness to Ullapool. in my 280,.it`s fun.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I took in this road on my way down the West coast..it`s a must.Check out Youtube: Bealach na Bà.

Superb road - we were there last October - but, don't mention it to Davie (Daviethescaff ) - someone tried to squish Mabel on it :(

Personally, I'd stick to the West Coast - especially the NW. The East can be a bit flat & (relatively!! ) boring.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
We also stayed in Aviemore...and can highly recommend the Spey Valley area. You're close to Inverness and the Loch... Spey area is full of nice people, good food, great roads and scenery. Great trekking and hiking as well. Oh, they have a few good drams!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So many good roads, so little time.

In no particular order:

1.) Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle on the A821 up thought the pass then right along Loch Achray to Kilmahog. The little butcher's shop in Aberfoyle across from the Tourist Centre does a great Bacon or Steak with fried onions roll where they cut the meat and go cook it while you wait.

2.) the B863 that goes around Loch Leven, I think its better to start at North Ballachulish and finish at Glencoe.

3.) Someone on the forum has mentioned the road to Glencoe over the Ranch Moor. Not so many twists and turns but wild countryside.

4.) The A83 from Tarbet to Inverary through the Rest and be Thankful. The original Loch Fyne Oyster company is there, though it's no longer a road-side shack.

5.) the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig (and then across to Skye, if you like) This goes past the great multiple Arch curved Railroad bridge at Glenfinnan used in the Harry Potter movies.

6.) The road around Skye, the single track A855 over the top of the island and past the Old Man of store is interesting.

Of course, do them all on a nice sunny day. We have one at least once a year.....

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So many good roads, so little time.

In no particular order:

1.) Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle on the A821 up thought the pass then right along Loch Achray to Kilmahog. The little butcher's shop in Aberfoyle across from the Tourist Centre does a great Bacon or Steak with fried onions roll where they cut the meat and go cook it while you wait.

2.) the B863 that goes around Loch Leven, I think its better to start at North Ballachulish and finish at Glencoe.

3.) Someone on the forum has mentioned the road to Glencoe over the Ranch Moor. Not so many twists and turns but wild countryside.

4.) The A83 from Tarbet to Inverary through the Rest and be Thankful. The original Loch Fyne Oyster company is there, though it's no longer a road-side shack.

5.) the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig (and then across to Skye, if you like) This goes past the great multiple Arch curved Railroad bridge at Glenfinnan used in the Harry Potter movies.

6.) The road around Skye, the single track A855 over the top of the island and past the Old Man of store is interesting.

Of course, do them all on a nice sunny day. We have one at least once a year.....

Thanks James, but your too late went last summer :laugh:

We did have a great time, caught some good weather too!

Some great advice for others going this year!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi mate, these roads are my backgarden.
3 you need to do,
Kinlochewe view point down to loch maree
Applecross pass goes without saying
And finally kylesku.
Ullapool from Inverness is a great road.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,410 Posts
Some great advice for others going this year!
Totally agree Dave, the suggestions made have all been good ones.

When possible I try to get a record on my GoPro of any good runs I do, either good scenically or fun to drive, and then post them on You Tube for people to get an idea of what to see / expect from the route. They can be found under Mabel's outings on my You Tube channel. There are some cracking runs to be found there. Just now I have a couple of dozen, but I'll be adding more when I get the chance to get out and about. :smile:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,022 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,022 Posts
Dave had his Knockhill trip quite a while back.

Last year's Pitlochry trip in April &
NC500 trip in September were midge free.

The season is generally predicted to be April-October.

So, I'd avoid the summer months unless I'd planned for them.
And I'd wax the car before going too, to make it easier to get them off.

One thing that did surprise several of us in Scotland.
There are a lot of 24/7 Jet washes. England tends to be roughly 9am - 9pm.
WooHoo!

And if you should plan to get spirited, chat to the local lads in the hot hatches.
They were very approachable and gave us good gen on what was in the area.
Even offered us some of their pizza.

If only they were more like that by me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went to school in Fort Augustus. :D

There are two roads you should definitely go down, and it's best to just sort of take them as they come and explore your way round.

1st is to take the road to dumbarton out of glasgow, then to helensburgh, past faslane, and try to clip along all the lochs on the way to dunoon, where you can sample all the foods that can possibly be battered and fried, or stay in a nice hotel or the caravan park on Loch Ech, which is a particularly nice loch IMO.

2nd is to take the north road from fort augustus to inverness, passing by alister crowly's house and conjoined graveyard. This route is less travelled than the south road as it climbs right up the hills on the loch side. The particularly special bit is where the view opens up at the inverness side of the road, and it's breathtaking, or it was in like 92 or whatever.

Notes: You want to avoid the A82 up Loch Lomondside as it's chock full of coaches and HGVs, so your main experience will be terror and diesel fumes. Literally the only reason to go that road, for you, would be to stay in the Drovers in Inverannan, wherein lies warmth, food, lodging, and booze served by beardy men in kilts. They also go for dusty dead things and soot, which can be fun.

How you do it and where you go isn't really important, because all of the highlands is chock full of big scenery and things to walk up and down. I'd definitely recommend going up one side and coming down the other, though. Also, if you go back down the M61/M6 you should really come off at Crawford and follow the sign to the castle (Crawford Castle is just a ruin, which is fine if you like that kind of thing). That is a really nice country lane drive which misses out a ton of boring motorway.

/essay

That's one of my favourite roads, when all the little lakes are glassy flat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the North Coast 500 in September last year on my BMW GS, superb apart from the rain!! This was my second attempt, the first being completely washed out a couple of years before. Scotland is a great place with great roads, shame about the weather. Enjoy the BSB at Knockhill, hope it stays dry for you :) I take it you'll be in the SLK with the wife, but I reckon it would be even more fun on your VFR. Scotland is a great place with great roads.

I'm actually taking my wife and SLK to the IOM this year (not for TT) to have a legal blast over the no speed limit mountain section :)

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did the North Coast 500 in September last year on my BMW GS, superb apart from the rain!! This was my second attempt, the first being completely washed out a couple of years before. Scotland is a great place with great roads, shame about the weather. Enjoy the BSB at Knockhill, hope it stays dry for you :) I take it you'll be in the SLK with the wife, but I reckon it would be even more fun on your VFR. Scotland is a great place with great roads.

I'm actually taking my wife and SLK to the IOM this year (not for TT) to have a legal blast over the no speed limit mountain section :)
Thanks for your comments and to other members for theirs. I actually went in July 2015. Yes I was in the AMG. We did do a Scottish tour a couple of years earlier on bikes when I had my Multistrada. Both trips were two of the best I have done and luckily had great weather both times.

Have a good trip to IOM, it is one I want to do at some stage. Have you heard about the new bike road race in Wales this year, I'm planning on going.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts