Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Is there any problem if i disconnect my SLK battery for a month to prevent discharging? I will be away for at least a mouth from my SLK due to travelling to US.
Thank you in Advance, Greg

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd leave it connected and buy a cheap trickle charger to keep it topped-up.

A low power motorcycle trickle charger would do the job nicely, and they're not at all expensive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd leave it connected and buy a cheap trickle charger to keep it topped-up.

A low power motorcycle trickle charger would do the job nicely, and they're not at all expensive.
The car is parked in a huge underground parking, not a private parking, therfore i cannot use AC electricity for a trickle charger. That's why i was wondering if i can disconnect the battery.
Thank you for the reply.
Greg

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
There shouldn't be a problem, but before you disconnect it.. ..

1. Make sure you can open/lock the doors with your key.

2. Lower the drivers window down about 10mm so it just clears the seals - this will stop you straining the seals when you come to open it again (obviously, with the battery disconnected, the window wont drop automatically when you open the door ).

When you come to fire it up again, all you have to do is reset the clock, and reset the windows (by lowering them, then raising them, and keep the button pressed for about 3-5 seconds after they have got to the top.

When you remove/replace the battery lead, do it in a "firm & deliberate" movement, to reduce the amount of sparking - which, if excessive, can damage the vehicles electronic systems.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
On my 172 if I feel there is a need to hook up a battery charger I open the hood and hook the charger up to the provided jumper cable terminals. The positive + terminal has a red cover that slides back to expose the terminal. The negative - terminal is always exposed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts