Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I get my windshield replaced (free in Floriduh with comprehensive), I use Safelite.
And what do they use to clean the windshield?

So I would stop by their shop, bring donuts, and get a replacement can
Finally I broke down and found their foaming glass cleaner and the lint free towels on Ebay.

Here is my previous previous windshield adventure but I changed shops and have no complaints since 2014

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/165937-windshield-replacement-good-bad-ugly.html

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
We get our windows cleaned for free in the UK.

We use fresh rain water all year.

The Gov't supplies fresh salt in the winter and even stones to remove the stubborn stuff.

Occasionally, we get international help with fresh sand dropped overnight from the Sahara.

Cosseted, that's us. :tu:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Just noticed a nice stone chip on my windshield, so will be researching this topic on the site.....

·
Super Moderator
11,060 Posts
Just noticed a nice stone chip on my windshield, so will be researching this topic on the site.....
Lots of repair kits on the market. A lot depends (if home repair will work) is how badly it's chipped. Some chips are not repairable because they are "the wrong shape" or have already spread and will require a new windshield (so I'm told).

Local windshield repair shop here charges $80 (covered by comprehensive insurance).

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
My windshield is covered with little speckles in the glass. Any suggestions? Car has about 37,000 miles. My headlights look the same with speckles.

·
92,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yes,
I wax windshield, side windows, and rear glass as well, including chrome. I don't wax interior of glass, just good cleaner and clean paper towels.

Hell, way back when the Dino's roamed, before Armor All and all the related interior product existed, I used "clear" floor polish on tires, aluminum wheels, and all interior surfaces. Now, the array of products that are better boggles the mind.

·
92,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used 'future' polish on my Army shoes :D

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
My windshield is covered with little speckles in the glass. Any suggestions? Car has about 37,000 miles. My headlights look the same with speckles.
I believe we can thank our local DOT folks for that. My former daily commute was a sand blasting adventure on I-26, especially if I ended up in the slipstream of a semi. With any possibility of snow flurries, DOT will sand all the bridges. Then we get to enjoy if for the next 6 months until it finally washes/blows away. :crying:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
We get our windows cleaned for free in the UK.

We use fresh rain water all year.

The Gov't supplies fresh salt in the winter and even stones to remove the stubborn stuff.

Occasionally, we get international help with fresh sand dropped overnight from the Sahara.

Cosseted, that's us. :tu:

That made me giggle, but it’s true. Now with my glass shield coating on the car I only have to drive 50 and all the water rides up the windows in streams. Obv not good in naff country lanes and slow traffic, but fun on bigger roads.

Plus I got told off for driving fast from my body shop, it was the road rash that gave me away. I was just trying to get away from the cars, that’s all guv!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts