Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me specify, this is new products for *me.

1. Surf City Garage Voodoo Blend Leather rejuvenater [walmart]
I don't think this did anything to rejuvenate leather or bring it back to life. It did clean all the leather, and vinyl and plastic trim throughout the entire cab, including the roll bars. The smell of this product is what got me. I had a flash back to my fathers garage. New leather smell from the 70's.. right off the showroom floor. It was great.

2. Meguiar's Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit [walmart]
I don't really know why I bought this kit, other than for the clay bar inside. I saw a slight difference in the paint tone. Not enough to notice. The "clay bar" method [while I now understand it's purpose] is way over hyped and very situation specific. No one needs a "clay" bar wax if there is nothing on the paint such as tar or residue from driving. Of which it will work on getting off the paint. The wax was nice, gave the car a glass finish.

3. Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner with Rain Repellent [this was the best buy of the day at walmart]
I have tried every glass product known to man, foams, sprays, cheap stuff, expensive stuff. I have short arms and very little power in them. I don't have the strength or energy to make sure other products are wiped off quick enough. This was cheap and truly streak free. I used it throughout inside and out, it's great.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hey slkchick ..glass products wise try nanolex, its more expensive than rain-x but after trying...trust me you will never go back!!!!

clay bar's are overhyped, u really only use it like before a hardcore detailing session, honestly not worth the time in my personal opinion. Maybe once a couple of month.

im gonna go buy the leather treat :) lets hope they stock some down under..love the old school leather smell

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,813 Posts

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I agree with you that the clay bar is over-hyped. I tried it and thought it was a waste of money.
clay bar's are overhyped, u really only use it like before a hardcore detailing session, honestly not worth the time in my personal opinion. Maybe once a couple of month.
You guys are crazy! :biglaugh: I usually use it when the paint feels rough, clay bar makes them disappear like magic. Your paint will never feel smooth no matter how much you wax w/o claying. All the most reputable detailers recommend it. You shouldn't clay every week, that is a waste of money, I do it once a year, my 2005 paint is as smooth as when I first purchased it.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Einzett leather cleaner from our Detailer's Domain sponsor is hands down the best I've ever used. No build up or greasy feeling.....and a nice hygienic smell. I would use it on my hair if I had any :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I highly recommend Mothers Clay Bar it is superior to Meguiar's Clay Bar but clay bar is only needed if you start to get a rough buildup on your paint which you will be able to feel by running your hand over the paint....if everything is smooth from the top to the bottom then you don't need it.

As far as leather I like Lexol even though its not the most pleasant smelling. Everyone I know who cares for leather highly recommends the product. Excellent conditioner and the cleaner works perfectly. The leather in my 08 Altima which I bought new still looks like new without any part of the leather showing any sign of drying out or hardening from the sun.

I just finished with Mother's Clay Bar, Meguiar's Swirl X, and Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 as I have had great results in the past restoring used cars with these. This black 350 has had some serious neglect from the previous owner in regards to the paint. Using these products I brought back a nice deep wet mirrored black to the undamaged paint; however, there are still deep swirl marks that I need to look further for a better product. I just bought Klasse All in One and the High Gloss Sealant and will be giving them a go to try to bring that new car look back. I have not seen a single negative review and the Germans definitely know how to make great products. I do need to try Dr. Colorchip for my front bumper though as that has significant road rash which the paste wax of course highlighted.

This was all just my two cents, but from what I see your car is looking great slk320chick

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Just a regular guy
1,180 Posts
Claying is a great benefit to your finish, but more that once a year is a waste ( keep in mind a year, in Rochester, is April to November). I typically take two days off work, in the early spring, take out the car ( uncover) wash once real good with Dawn ( strip) and then clay. I follow with a minumum of three coats, in varying grades of Zaino. The car is then ready for its first summer cruise ( weather permitting) I also use the Zaino leather package, once a year, at this time. That car looks BRAND NEW every year....smells it too. Happy cruising!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Clay really depends. If you keep your car covered most of the time, you will probably not need it. If you park the car outside all the time, then it will accumulate all the sap, bugs and stuff that will need clay to get off.

I don't think there's much difference in the brands of clay. They come in a similar grit and lubricant.

-K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts