Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some lights on the inside of two lanes. Up comes Mr Keen in his Kia SUV (nothing wrong with them). He revs his oil burner and almost does a false start from red he is so up for it. Said to the wife l'm not having this and put the car in Sport.

Red, red and amber, green. Boot it, hint of wheel spin and I disappear into the distance leaving a chastised, I like to think, Mr Keen.

Childish, yes. Enjoyable, of course. 58 years old and still love it.

I should point out at no time did I exceed the speed limit. Just got there quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,931 Posts
Yep.

You try to ignore them and eventually you don't.

Like you say, easy to do legal.

Although, I know a traffic bobby who stated:
'Any car that accelerates to 60 in under 10 seconds is dangerously driven'
Heck, that's most cars these days.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You think that is bad...try driving a Corvette. Every rice rocket car guy you meet wants to race you. For fun I rev'd the engine a bit like I was going to race them and then let them take off in a cloud of tire and engine smoke and brag to their friends they beat a Vette.

Then there is Jeff to contend with. ;)

Baja-D

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
My vette threads speak for themselves :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have been in a few quick cars in my time, not many owned by myself unfortunately (by reason of expense). One thing I have noticed over their ability to go, is their ability to stop! Some of these family ride owners should be forewarned as they ride the bumpers of these powerful saloons that these cars can stop on a sixpence. It's amazing how that gap can close even though you are standing on your ABS brakes. A friend of mine demonstrated the stopping power of his Ferrari coming off a motorway to blind junction on the slipway. I really didn't believe we were going to stop given the speed and the distance remaining. In the advent it was an unspectacular achievement, no tyre squeal, no diving bonnet, just me hanging in my seat belt thankful I'd stayed in the seat - amazing. The only risk here was somebody going into the back of us.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brakes

I have been in a few quick cars in my time, not many owned by myself unfortunately (by reason of expense). One thing I have noticed over their ability to go, is their ability to stop! Some of these family ride owners should be forewarned as they ride the bumpers of these powerful saloons that these cars can stop on a sixpence. It's amazing how that gap can close even though you are standing on your ABS brakes. A friend of mine demonstrated the stopping power of his Ferrari coming off a motorway to blind junction on the slipway. I really didn't believe we were going to stop given the speed and the distance remaining. In the advent it was an unspectacular achievement, no tyre squeal, no diving bonnet, just me hanging in my seat belt thankful I'd stayed in the seat - amazing. The only risk here was somebody going into the back of us.
Totally agree, even with a relatively lowly SLC the brakes are in a different league. Plus compared to the average SUV glued to your rear bumper, the SLC/SLK has about a tonne less weight, which also makes a huge difference. KE = 1/2 MV squared folks.

·
Super Moderator
24,931 Posts
Heck, I don't even use the brakes and they kiss my … erm …. bumper.

Drop roof, check mirror.

That speck in the distance is somebody expecting a transformer to emerge.

Who needs brakes :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts