Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the first accidental discharge of my life today, and shot my car with a .40 caliber hollow point round after leaving the gun club. Went throught the passenger floor board. Missed everything vital, no one was hurt, but I need a new floor mat and carpet. What a frightening event. "Be careful out there."

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Ok...I'm Canadian so be patient...but I have qualified on several firearms - Browning 9mm, Stirling SMG, FN-C1 and C2 (that's a 7.62 machine gun...similar to your BAR), Colt 1911 45, and M-16 (2 versions).
So:
what were you doing getting in your car with a handgun, not cased, not holstered with a loaded magazine in it
why was there a round chambered
why was the safety off
why do you use hollow points at a range
and finally
who does your range safety, because he should be fired.

Glad no one was hurt, including yourself. I appreciate your honesty.

I expect I'll be off your Christmas card list now.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Glad you, the car, and every one else is safe! What happened if you don't mind me asking? I carry a Walther with a positive action safety, and it still makes me a bit paranoid even though I know it takes a finger on the trigger to fire it...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,078 Posts
Glad you 'missed'!

·
Registered
51 Posts
So:
why do you use hollow points at a range
I can at least probably answer this one for him. I was always told to train with what you would shoot in a real life scenario. It will show you how reliable the ammo will be, not something you want to find out when you really need it.

Glad to hear you are ok, and minimal damage to the car hopefully. Just don't do it again! I've had one accidental discharge and that was an old target rifle with a sub-1lb trigger. It was freezing cold and I loaded a round and shot before I even had it to my shoulder. Fortunately it was pointed down range so it wasn't a big deal, but as I'm sure you know now, all it takes is one of those and you become twice as careful about what you do.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Sorry for your floorboard, it can be fixed. No harm, no foul.
Like John, I carry a Walther; P99 in .40S&W.
Always loaded and chambered, 10 in a 16 magazine (to safe the spring), partially cocked.
Always use hollow point bullets ‘this is important for anyone that carries a weapon for self-defense’ the bulled is stopped inside the target, it will not travel on and injure (God forbid, Kill) an innocent person!
Note: If you carry, You are responsible!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on my iPad, so I will respond better tomorrow. But, this was my fault. I got complacent. I was transferring my gun, slide locked open, to my car. I had my street loads in a mag in the car. I popped that mag in and performed my clearing action. However, I had a brain fart that my slide was open. This is an M&P...no safety. My instincts at least had it pointed down and away. I had another distraction at the moment, but that is not an excuse. First accidental discharge in 32 years. I'm concealed carry licensed, and this is an open carry state regardless. I messed up. No one should get fired but me. More later. Thanks for the comments from those that know that this can and does happen, even to the highly trained.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,055 Posts
Wow...are you deaf now, or was the top open! I hope you remember to keep focused whenever you are near that thing in the future! (the gun too!)

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it was loud. But I had just run through 200 rounds on the range. Top was up. Also, if this thread turns "political" or folks want to assert their personal beliefs about firearms, I will ask the admins to remove the thread. Please respect my candor and all national and philosophical differences. Thx.

Reactions: -1-

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I'm on my iPad, so I will respond better tomorrow. But, this was my fault. I got complacent. I was transferring my gun, slide locked open, to my car. I had my street loads in a mag in the car. I popped that mag in and performed my clearing action. However, I had a brain fart that my slide was open. This is an M&P...no safety. My instincts at least had it pointed down and away. I had another distraction at the moment, but that is not an excuse. First accidental discharge in 32 years. I'm concealed carry licensed, and this is an open carry state regardless. I messed up. No one should get fired but me. More later. Thanks for the comments from those that know that this can and does happen, even to the highly trained.
Don’t beat yourself up about it my friend, most of us know that you will be your own worst critic.
We give thanks that no one was hurt (my apologies to your 55) and thank you for reminding us of our responsibilities.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts

Glad no one was hurt. We/I train every day with our Barrett 50's, M4's and other firearms. The most important safety rule is always treat every firearm as if it was loaded. I have witnessed two AD's at work and they were not pretty so please who ever reads this thread be careful and always respect a firearm no matter how much training you have. And like mentioned above don't beat yourself up; consider it a lesson learned for all of us. :tu:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I am just VERY glad no one was hurt and the damage to the floor panel is all there is.

Reactions: Cold Shot

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,438 Posts
LOL glad that every one walked / drove away just fine and nobody ended up in the Hospital or at the Indy Shop. Cold Shoot hate 2 say it you just got yourself a new Nick name here on this Site. Pls meet Barney 5

·
Registered
333 Posts
Poor car, what has it done to you? In England, because we don't carry, we can't shoot our cars, so have to resort to other methods :)

(pleased you were unscathed).

I was involved in a situation similar to the video. At the time I owned a farm with another farm house on down the lane. A guy in an older model panel van was driving up the lane when his van engine quit on him. He tried for several minutes to get it started, but it would not. I walked down and asked him if he would like for me to give him a pull to see if it would start. He agreed, so I hooked his van to my pickup and pulled him 50 yards or so, but again, his van would not start. I never saw a guy go so ballistic so quickly. He poured out of the van and started beating the sides with his hands, knees, feet - anything to punish his vehicle. A passenger sitting in the van advised me to unhook my truck and back away. This was advice I did not need because I was well on my way to getting away from this idiot. When he got through with his tirade, there was not a piece of metal on his van that was not dented . . . as well as the driver's side window which he broke with his bare hands! But to make matters worse, he reached into his dash pocket, took out a semi-auto pistol (it appeared to be a 9 mm) and emptied the magazine in the side of his van. The guy totaled his van in a matter of minutes!! That was an experience I shall NEVER forget.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I am glad I live in a country where only crooks and some police carry firearms as a matter of course.

Note. smiling at the fact that you can type firearms but you cant type g*ns :)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Glad your safe and nobody hurt.....

Reactions: Cold Shot
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.