Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not a big fan of R172 slk designing becuz of the big vertical nose, somewhat reminds me of mustang GT (gigantic air vent, vertical bulky nose). and no offense to R172 owner, still a wonderful car.

but now, the new SL has the identical look. big vertical nose on SLK is somewhat acceptable becuz the car itself is not so big, it doesnt stand out much (compare to the new SL).

but the new SL is really big compare to SLK, so the nose really really stands out.

previous generation of SL also had a big nose, but it was bit slanted, which made it look agile and aggressive.

the new SL is aggressive in a sense of just pure bulky, which is what muscle car is suppose to be.

i dont know if that is the new trend in styling. and i dont think my taste in style is getting old becuz im only 24.

but why are they making the cars all muscle car-like these days. Same with the BMW, their new line ups all have bulky look.

New SL

Previous SL

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
This pedestrian safety thing really is a joke. So instead of having you lower limbs broken by a 171 nose you get all your legs and pelvis smashed the same as if your hit by a 4x4 Where is the sense in that ??

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Am I callous and unfeeling because I feel that if you walk out in front of a moving car it's not the car manufacturer's fault that you get hurt?

Gene

Reactions: rhartson and JonB

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I think if i was hit by any car I would sooner take my chances going up and over the bonnet than be knocked flat and run over !!!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
I think if i was hit by any car I would sooner take my chances going up and over the bonnet than be knocked flat and run over !!!
I agree 100% and thought the same thing when I originally read the article. I would be curious to see the actual data the regulators are using to justify these requirements (just the engineer in me as I have often seen data which can be interpreted in different ways).

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
Personally I prefer the older model ! Don't think it's going to make a lot of difference which one you get run over by , they're both going to hurt like hell !!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was actually excited about the new SL. They said they were going back to what SL stands for... Super Lite so I was thinking they were going to make it smaller. Instead they lowered the weight of the 550 by 300lbs and made it an inch longer. I was really like WTF Mercedes. It doesn't really matter though. I said I wouldn't buy another Benz sports car until they got a Dual Clutch transmission.

·
Registered
506 Posts
On Being Hit...

Speaking from experience, you absolutely correct! My hit came as a result of the offending vehicle running a stop sign. :eek:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I agree 100% and thought the same thing when I originally read the article. I would be curious to see the actual data the regulators are using to justify these requirements (just the engineer in me as I have often seen data which can be interpreted in different ways).
What I learn was that the bonnet/hood lid has to be 1 cm above the upper border of the engine (bringing up the height of the hood/bonnet lid). That doesn't mean designers cannot make the front end look aerodynamic or aestheically pleasing. I believe MB is trying to go retro to the gullwing design (300 SL) of the past.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I haven't read one positive review of the SL's styling in the car rags; otherwise it's a great car.

I wouldn't want one. It is just too big and too expensive. I would buy the R172 but only the AMG version, since it is a bargain price for a German performance car.

I do like the C350 Coupe, and I may buy one next year with 4-matic and the 330 HP V6! Leather of course and the 7-spoke wheels.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.