Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really thought that an SLK 55 AMG would be my next car after the BMW 1 series. Then other things happened and the joint holder of the purse strings went off the idea of low, fast cars. So instead I indulged in another car fantasy and bought a Land Rover Discovery 4.

It's been a great year with the Discovery - who is far more capable and adaptable than I'll ever need. But the 2,600 miles on the odometer shows that she's not being used.

If things go according to plan a house sale and purchase will mean we'll be mortgage free once more with a little cash in the bank. So now I'm hankering after selling the Discovery and buying an SLK 55 AMG. Although maybe a normal SLK 350 would more than meet my needs.

Our illustrious founder suggests that I go for an R171, but my budget might just stretch to an R172. Time for some research and some wisdom from forum members.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts
r171 covers the 55 :D

Get it
you won't ever regret it!

See my albums and sig threads and driver stories to get your juices flowing for a 55

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,210 Posts
Scratched the 55 itch thinking I'd run it for one summer and park it for winter.

Worst idea ever.

Totally unrealistic!

Coming to the end of it's second summer and being driven year round.

The 55 is MINE! :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
R171 all the way for me.......but if the budget stretches and you like the frontal treatment of a R172 (personally I'm not keen) then why not. Itches are there to be scratched!

·
Registered 2013 SLK 55 AMG
44 Posts
I'll vote for the R172, which whilse biased of course being an owner, I think the technology in the later car makes it the better buy. Frontal looks aside (even I prefer the look of the R171), the engine is completely different and represents the very pinnacle of the N/A AMG powerplant evolution. 12.6:1 CR, selective cylinder shutdown, 195g of Carbon and lower Road Tax rates. 30-35mpg genuinely common on longer runs and a very much more responsive gearbox in Sport (in my view). Add ESP/TC that can be switched off, and with the Performance Pack the upgraded brakes, more controlled suspension and LSD and for me the extra money is (was) worth it.

But regardless of the model, the SLK55 remains a truly fabulous car that will satisfy for years to come - maybe one day even an appreciating classic in a world of smaller turbo and hybrid AMG power-trains.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
337 Posts
the engines and engineering are great whatever version you decide. The styling will be entirely down to your personal taste (mine is 172 all the way, including the front but you might like proboscis monkeys :) ). Whatever you go for, I'd say you wont be disappointed. Hold out for colour and options but be cautious that the number of 172 SLK55s for sale in the UK are low. As for this forum, I've learnt so much from here since I got mine and it's a really friendly place. Have fun and go for it I'd say !!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your feedback. The 172 has grown on me over time - I think I could be very happy with either.

I need to be patient whilst the property transactions complete. Hopefully selling a 4x4 in the autumn, and buying a convertible, will mean I benefit for the peak season on the sale, and the quiet season for the purchase.

And I must be patient and wait for the right one to appear on the market.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. The 172 has grown on me over time - I think I could be very happy with either.

I need to be patient whilst the property transactions complete. Hopefully selling a 4x4 in the autumn, and buying a convertible, will mean I benefit for the peak season on the sale, and the quiet season for the purchase.

And I must be patient and wait for the right one to appear on the market.
I started out looking for a 171 but as time went on the 172 grew on me more and more.
I have no regrets about buying the 172 and have had only positive comments from people of all ages.
But that patience thing is hard to do....!!!:grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,210 Posts
But that patience thing is hard to do....!!!:grin: Never a truer word!

But buying in winter 'should' mean SLKs are slower moving off the forecourt.

Get datacards for each serious contender.

Remember the new/used check list.

Test everything.

Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,556 Posts
I like my pointy nose... :grin:
Back ends look similar to me when apart, seats may be comfier in the 172?
Mine is available for me to use all year but it does live in a garage and is a second car.
It does make me smile if I drive it or just look at it. :nerd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts