Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK 230 R170
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had a piece of trim that I fitted on my SLK 230 come loose.:frown:

It was stuck on with the Chinese version of 3M Red Automobile Sponge Tape.
What is on there is hard and still in 1 piece.
The Trim is fragile and I'm looking for a way to get the tape off without doing any damage.

Anyone had any experience at doing this ??

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
see my carbon fiber threads but you have to peel it off and hopefully get a piece started to pull it off in one piece as you go
i helped my installer and it took us 2 hours to get clearbra off the whole bumper section - Clearbra 3 album

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Oops and Goof off, are great at getting the sticky residue off after you pull the tape, and won't hurt the paint,,, but it will remove any wax or polish you have on there.
G

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
toughest part is getting it started. if it is old, it will be very brittle and only small pieces will come off. don't trim your fingernails :D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
415 Posts
Hi
Good day.

This is a normal problem which can easily resolved.
I have been doing this for decades, seriously.

Just simply use cooking oil, simple as that.
(Basic molecular structure of oil = hydrocarbon =HCO)

It can also remove chewing gum, don't believe me?
Try sticking some chewing gum on a piece of cloth, then slowly rub some cooking oil on it.
You will then see the chewing gum dissolving after that wash it with washing liquid.

Thank you & have a nice day

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
People remember it is also on how old the 3m is. more years and it will be very brittle and will fall apart as you try to peel it whether you use anything on it or not :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.