Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...kind of. After the Green Filter install and two subsequent filter cleanings on my 07 SLK 55, the heads of the screws on the filter boxes are starting to strip. Does anyone know the part numbers for the screws and if they are available as a kit?

I don't know about others here, but on my vehicle those screws are really tight. They require a good deal of effort to remove and re-seat. I am worried that one more cleaning and I may strip one beyond use.

Any thoughts on making my 6 month cleanings any easier and less damaging to the screw heads? WD-40 on the threads?

Help me out "Oh Great and Knowledgable Dan". :hail:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Definately. Again, on my car, they are extremely tight. It seemed oddly so when I installed the filters.

D

·
0 Posts
That's really really common its because they are cheap screws that last all of 5 minutes, the difficulty in turning them is by design because once you have them tightened down they are very unlikely to back out and let air bypass the filters.

Thing is they are not meant to actually come out of the airbox just to be retracted enough to open the thing up and then remain inside the threads, they don't have an individual part number.

If you want my honest advice i would say get them all out cut the heads off if you have to and remove them from the bottom then measure them and get some good standard screws to replace them, they don't need to be fancy Merc ones or even Torx bit just so long as they hold the casing together it will be fine and if they do get stripped you can just remove them and install some more.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, should not apply any real torque to these so hand tight with a screwdriver is fine any sort of wrench or ratchet it likely to overstress them.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I don't know about others here, but on my vehicle those screws are really tight. They require a good deal of effort to remove and re-seat.
On mine the screws are tight but not hard to unscrew. The torx screw heads are fine, i.e., not stripped. I do use a ratchet type screwdriver which requires less force on the operator's part. I do not use powered screwdrivers as the torque is sometimes too strong.

I mainly unscrew to the point where the screw seems loose and free moving. One can then simply pull the screw head and it should move up freely by about 2 cm or 0.5 inch. I loosen/tighten the screws in a diagonal pattern (much like changing the lugs on a tire, i.e., alternate lugs).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.