Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this Monday morning, about 6:30, I hit a deer. It's not the first time I've done this, but it is expensive every time! Fortunately, all I need is a new headlight assembly, front right quarter panel and a couple of small dents taken out of the door.
For anybody who might be in my area, Georgia Highway 26 is a car killer! I've now hit 2 deer and a dump truck. Only the dump truck killed my car (a 2004 VW VR6) but every one was painful.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Sorry to here - Have plenty of deer here in the Hampshire country side as well.... :|
And in the NW of Scotland !!

In 12 years I've been lucky, only hit one, and that wrote the Van off :(

Shhhhhhhh, now I've tempted fate !!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
688 Posts
I've read accounts of drivers killed by a deer through the windshield. Out here in the desert not so much of a hazard, but where I used to live the deer were common. Deer Creek Canyon (aptly named) was all blind curves and herds of deer. There was blood on the pavement regularly.
Be careful out there.
Hope your 320 is made right again.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,173 Posts
Not wishing to make light of a traumatic and expensive situation but I still chuckle when I think of a comment from my son when driving at night between Banff and Invermere on Highways 93/95.
Approaching Radium Hot Springs we became aware of orange flashing lights ahead. Continued with caution and, as we got closer to the signs, son pipes up, "Oh, it's just disco sheep".

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts
I used to wonder how folk managed to hit such a large animal.
Then we had a tour in and around Pitlochry.

3 incidences.
One already RIP alongside the road.
But the one that worried me was standing right next to a dual carriageway.
I'd learnt to look for them by then.

I saw it, but had it wandered out I could not have avoided it.
They camouflage well against the tree line.

Reported it to local Police.
The locals in the garage where I went to get the local number for the Police
were puzzled why I'd report it.
The Police said they'd inform the local estate.

I left frustrated, except for one locals comment.
Thanked me for bothering as he had lost a teenage relative to such an incident.

What occurred to me later. The 171 bonnet is perfect for bringing a deer into the cabin.

You very definitely have my sympathy for such a bump.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
They have no road sense at all.
A43 Corby.
Once had six of them jump over the l/h hedgerow, run across the road and then over the r/h hedgerow - like a steeplechase right in front of me. I was doing about 60mph at the time .. was a decent brake check ;)

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,281 Posts
Wait till you hit a cow luckily so far I did not hit anything on the road knock on wood. About 6 month ago 3 cows wandered on to the road Highway 93 just south of the Hoover Dam as i was coming back from LV at 3 am in the morning 2 Semis in front of me slammed on there brakes but hit them anyway both semi,s ended up with major damage and needed a tow. They have cattle guards installed in the road but once in a while them cows outsmart them.

You got my sympathy because an accident with wildlife you never know the outcome. I have seen people that try to avoid a deer and rolling there cars and die.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Rutting Season is the worst for the blooming Deer :(

When I first started travelling around up here I used to think how lovely it was to see them ....................

Having now lived here 12 years + , hit one myself, and pulled Cars from ditches with bewildered occupants etc etc I now know why to the Locals (and me), they are just a pesky nuisance and a good feed !!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts
Wait till you hit a cow luckily so far I did not hit anything on the road knock on wood. About 6 month ago 3 cows wandered on to the road Highway 93 just south of the Hoover Dam as i was coming back from LV at 3 am in the morning 2 Semis in front of me slammed on there brakes but hit them anyway both semi,s ended up with major damage and needed a tow. They have cattle guards installed in the road but once in a while them cows outsmart them.

You got my sympathy because an accident with wildlife you never know the outcome. I have seen people that try to avoid a deer and rolling there cars and die.
The bike bobbies that taught my lot to ride told us to be aware of cattle.
Many years previous, a dozy cow fell down an embankment and on top of a panda car.
Was not a good outcome.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
916 Posts

What occurred to me later. The 171 bonnet is perfect for bringing a deer into the cabin.
The problem is that they come sprinting across the road, no way to see them when they jump out of a ditch and they are doing 20mph. I have hit 4 of them.

Actually the SLK is very good for deer, the steep slope of the windscreen will take it up and over. The problem comes from the straight up and down windshields. That is also why the little deer will cause more damage to a car. With a big deer you take out the legs and it goes flying off. With a little one you smack the body right in to the grill and do massive damage.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
134 Posts
I feel the pain for everyone who has had encounters with deer while driving
In 30 years I have had 5 deer hits, luck was on my side in that no one was hurt (except for the deer.)
The car damage varied.

Jet_fl has a good point about the SLK profile potentially being better with adult deer.
We hit one with our Mazda RX7 Turbo and the deer flew over the roof with minor damage to the front fender.

It's almost impossible to avoid deer if they are running, and it's best not to swerve to avoid a hit
A ditch, roll over or a tree may end up deadly. Let the airbags do their thing

Our last encounter was at night, 2 lane 2 way country road, opposing traffic had just passed with low beams still on.
As my eyes adjusted and before I could high beam, there in my lane was a hit deer in a clump in the middle.
At 60 mph all I could do was brace for the hit.

Luck again was on our side, as we were driving the trusty rusty Dodge Caravan.
The ground clearance of the minivan saved us, with a few bent parts to the floor.
The sight of the outside of the minivan was terrible, with guts hair and blood all over.
We were able to drive home that night

I hope no one has to ever feel the sounds and impact while running over a 120 lb animal

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,206 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts