Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 slk 280 mercedes benz from a private seller today. When i first started it, there was some white smoke that came out of the exhaust. When i started it again, nothing came out. What does this mean? Should i have bought it. The guy i bought it from said it was sitting for about 2 weeks and it was from condensation. I took a test drive and it rode great, except it said requires schedule c maintence. What is that. Also i bought it off him for 24,000 even in cash, was that a good price. Its and automatic and has 37000 miles. Thanks

From Matt

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
The white smoke can be from many things, keep an eye on the oil and make sure there isn't any milky white stuff in it, also watch the inside of the oil filler cap for the same thing.
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Matt and congratulations on the 2007 SLK 280.

White smoke usually means condensation especially if it disappears with engine at operating temperature.

If you get the chance, do update your profile under User CP to include your location (City, State or Province). This helps others answer your questions as there are differences between countries and regions.

Do a search (advanced search works OK) in this forum on the the different letter designation for maintenance. Did you get the Owner's Manual and the Maintenance Booklet from the seller?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, i updated my profile like you said. Do you think that was a good deal for the car. Also what is schedule c maintence consist of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how is the slk 280 in the winter months of new jersey

Just wondering how bad it is to drive the mbslk in the winter months. does anyone have any stories

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Thanks for the info, i updated my profile like you said. Do you think that was a good deal for the car. Also what is schedule c maintence consist of.
Thanks for updating your profile.

Hard to say on the price as it all depends on the options that came with the car e.g., Bi-Xenon headlamps, AMG body style, COMAND with Sat/Nav, Harmon-Kardon sound system, AirScarf, premium packages, and the like.

Edmunds.com may be a good place to get a ball park figure.

Schedule C includes: Cabin Air Filter change (search DIY section in this forum), oil and filter change, and a bunch of inspection points to do. It's basically a Service B (longer service) + Cabin Air Filter replacement.

You may want to join some forum members going for a little spin and get together this coming weekend. It's a great place to meet people, make new friends and get practical information.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Welcome from AZ. I've also noticed white smoke on occasion. You can see my thread here
http://www.slkworld.com/ask-dansslk/10839-smoke-out-exhaust.html

I did take the suggestion mentioned and drive in manual shift mode a few times and haven't had smoke since.

Should be nothing to worry about, but monitor your oil as you should be doing anyway.

Do the cabin filter yourself and save some $$. It's fairly simple if you comfortable with it.

Congratulations and welcome!:)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Atlanta. There is a NE SLKWorld group getting together. Check out the regional section for more details.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,374 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had white smoke too on a couple of occasions but went away almost immediately. No problems and haven't seen since. Think because car is in the garage and not driven for 5 days.......have another car for rough traffic trips. Have just over 14,000 mi on my 2006 and service C due.....local dealer charge is $199.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.