Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after HATING the R170 seats for about a year now, I finally got around to doing something about it. I ran across some Corvette Seats in pretty good shape and.. cheap! These seats were the only C5 seats that didn't have the cross flags or "CORVETTE" or Z06 embroidered in. They were from one called an "FRC" (fixed roof coupe). They are just like my Z06 seats which I find pretty comfortable.
Getting them in was a bit tricky. I took a couple pics to share. I destroyed my MBz seats in the making of these. oh well.
Problem 1. The MBz seats have a scissor lift bracket on the bottom and the back of the seat is part of the scissor. I had to cut the bracket on the back of the seat, hence ruining the seat for good.
Problem 2. The MBz passenger seat has a 'sensor' in it so the air bag (SRS) knows when someone is sitting there. It's molded into the foam. yippy.

So, here's a couple pics of the carnage.
Passenger seat (ie. guinnea pig) getting torn apart.

Ripped the foam apart to get the sensor flex circuit out. It's not too fragile.

Cut the back off and getting it ready for some brackets.

Here I made a couple brackets and welded them to the original frame.
I took the pic from this angle so you can't see my welds. :td:

And the passenger seat goes in. Whew. IT FITS!

After all that, I started again on the driver's seat. Nice thing on the driver's seat is that there is no SRS sensor circuit. I guess they figure you'll always be in that seat. lol.

End result.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They sit up about 1" higher than the stock seats. Not much I can do about that, nor is it a big deal.
The SRS system is completely in tact.
Scissor lift still works. :tu::tu:
The seat belts still mount to their original mounts.

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
Wow, you're a madman!! That's a very impressive and scary project, especially since it has a point of no return. Great job.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Looks great :tu: Now for some leatherique.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Durk/Eddie. The Leatherique will go on when we have a little more sun/heat. I still have a half bottle. Theres also a couple rub spots on the driver's seat where it's worn through. I can fix it... another day.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Impressive effort. I must ask, did you "think" they'd work, or were you "sure" they work?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:tu:Impressive effort. I must ask, did you "think" they'd work, or were you "sure" they work?
I took a few measurements and... well I had a LOT of determination!

After living with them for a week, I've found that I enjoy the car so much more. The bumps on the fwy don't jolt through my back. If you look at the base of the MBz seats, you'll see they are just a plastic bucket with foam. The bottom of the vette seats (an most others) have wires and springs which add some 'travel' to the bottom structure. It's not rocket science, but I guess MBz just had better things to do that day than to put a little more effort into the design of their seats.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nice job. So has the 230 become a DD while the 55 is kept for nice conditions, or..? I thought you got the 55 to replace the 230 but guess im wrong? :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job. So has the 230 become a DD while the 55 is kept for nice conditions, or..? I thought you got the 55 to replace the 230 but guess im wrong? :)
The 230 (and my truck) is my dd, the '55 is wifey's dd. (she only has a 3 mi commute).
I have a difficult time selling cars.. I'm really good at buying them though :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
, the '55 is wifey's dd. (she only has a 3 mi commute).
Sorry, OT but, does she manage to get the engine up to temp in that time, otherwise not good for that AMG lump.

On topic, the seat refit looks good!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you ended up with no Passenger SRS signal right? Otherwise, great job.
The SRS system is complete and working properly. I put the sensor pad under the foam (just like the original seats) and then put some pad under it for support. It works.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, OT but, does she manage to get the engine up to temp in that time, otherwise not good for that AMG lump.

On topic, the seat refit looks good!
I'll make sure I romp on it every weekend.. just to clean it out. :rb

and thanks :tu:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice work

Can't say I'd have the nerve to take things apart like that, nor would I be able to give up the headroom which is tight for me as it is. But they look great.

Anyone else with 230's that have any other suggestions for improving the comfort of the d--- seats?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts