Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for the welcome, what a friendly forum this is

I've been a Mercedes man for a number of years C, E and at the moment a CLS Grand Edition, but I guess with the SLK I have joined a real clan with this modern day classic.

I guess i am having a mid-life crisis and have ordered an SLK AMG Sport CDI for delivery in June (metallic black with Bengal red interior and a number of nice extras)... Suppose if it's a real mid life crisis I will need to live until I. Am 116 years old!!!!!!

I've never owned a convertible and really looking forward to getting the top down....but I don't understand so many people, in England the weather is currently great (by our standards) and the majority (like 80%) of the convertibles I have seen during this sunny weather have the roofs up.......I think my roof will be down a lot.......anything over 10degrees C (50f) seems good to me...of course AirScarf will help.......

Anyway roll on late June when she arrives :burnout:

Regards

Rob

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,105 Posts
You will, 'get it', soon!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you are wearing a jacket, using heated seats and air scarf. 50F is perfectly fine going 50mph or less.
I have neither heated seats nor Airscarf, but with a jacket I'm fine at about 45 degrees and up. Set the climate control to 75, windows up, wear a cap, and all is well up to about 55mph. My right ear (towards the center of the car) can get a little chilly, because of the air that swirls past the mesh wind blocker and over the top. I suppose earmuffs would handle that. But the looks you get on a clear winter's day at those temperatures, tooling around with the top down and tunes blaring...priceless!!:tu:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Welcome, G!

No airscarf here. My parameters are 50°F and sunshine (doable most days in SoCal). Between that the heated seats, windows up and the plexiglass deflector, I'm golden! :burnout:

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
I bought my SLK because I like mercs and am into coupe's. I wanted a two seater that was automatic and not soft top having the folding roof was not a requirement either for me. You ever thought people might just like the look of the car with roof up coupe style.

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here in SoCal, I find it's more a time/distance thing. If I drive for more than 10 minutes, tops down. If I park for more than 10 minutes, tops up.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Hey Rob, I guess I'll be the first to tell you "SMARTTOP!". The problem without the smarttop is "top-down anxiety". You're at the lights, and wonder if it is going to be enough time to take the top down or not... or vice versa when it looks like rain. With the smarttop, most of that anxiety goes away. We swear by it, and are able to control the top from afar.

June isn't going to come fast enough. =)

-K

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drive a convertible now (though not an SLK) and have for many years (relative to my time spent driving) and still love it. I don't even have heated seats or airscarf or anything and will use it anytime the temperature is in the 60s or above. Even the 50s and above are fine if it's sunny and there's not a lot of wind. Where I am, it can get used pretty much daily from April through October and you can catch days and afternoons in other months sometimes, too! I can't imagine not owning a convertible now after having one and use it almost every chance I get!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I must admit sometimes I drive with the roof down even the other morning coming to work at 5c but also the same day went home with the roof up when it was nearer 15c

Sometimes nice to roof down also nice to have the roof up

Great choice of car I'm of a similar vintage & have just moved from an SL a very comfortable cruiser to an SLK350 what I consider a proper sports car.

I did consider an SLK55 - love the sound - but premium over the SLK350 I bought which is quicker than I will ever need just could not justify it

SLK's are excellent cars, I would say in sports suspension a hard sporty ride so some minor roads are like driving over cobbles - down to rubbish british roads :td: but you really will enjoy - well I do :biglaugh:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have my 1st convertible at 53. I love driving topless, though I have also invested in a hat to protect my solar panel. The great thing is if I get too cold I have the options. Turn up the heating, use the heated seats and airscarf, put on a jacket or if it's really cold , put the roof back up. Never had to use the last option yet :)

This was taken March 23 this year and there is still snow on the Scottish hills now

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on the new car. You'll love it and will probably always have a Convertible after your experience. Good luck with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts