Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Soon to be the proud owner of an SLK.

Done a good bit of reading of these forums over the past week or so, just wanted to say thanks to all the posters here you lot are super informative, it's very much appreciated!

So a week or two back, I decided I wanted to get a car. I haven't owned my own car in quite some years (I haven't needed to - fleet policies in my job).

I got to thinking - 'What was the last car I was in that really excited me?' Then I remembered, I was 17 and got a lift home from work by a colleague in his SLK.

Spent my last 15 years driving cars fast and not fast cars, time to change it up.

I am currently in the final processes (mechanical check) of buying a 2001 SLK 230, 6 speed manual transmission. She's blue with a beige and black interior with a .....See link

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/72823515.jpg <closest I can find. All being well I will have pictures in the flesh by the end of next week!!

Sadly the interior is currently in a bad way. Lot's of ware (didn't notice any tear) on the beige leather particularly around the doors and centre console so realistically need to refurbish or get a new interior.

I'm told in this part of the world (Ireland/UK) the no.1 thing to look out for is rust, so that's what I've told the mechanic to look for mainly, that and the gear box feels a bit fluid and clutch a little high.

My first question (sorry guys I'm a new SLK person so I'm going to have a lot of these!) Anyone ever done a refurbish/replacement of an interior? if so costings?

Next question is storage, I don't technically have a 'garage' as such but I have a space I can make work I think, but main question is, is it necessary to store these in garages? I'm told it is.

Thanks again for all the useful info so far ladies and gents, I look forward to our collaborating in future!

Cheers.

RLander.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,452 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,452 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,865 Posts
Welcome from Canada RLander :grin:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

You should be able to re-paint the interior... Jeff has already shared a link to some search results that should be useful to you.

Once you have the SLK, please remember to update the 'Vehicle' field in your profile too. :tu:

Thank you
Dave

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,088 Posts
Welcome from Surrey.

Yes, our climate can be bad for these cars - but you can check fairly easily. The worst spots are by the boot handle and the inner rims of the rear wheel arches. You can also get some rust on the front wings - again, check the wheel arches and also check the wings near the bumper.

The interior can be done yourself - there are plenty of guides around and all it needs is the special paint, a sponge and time.

Hope the sale goes through OK and looking forward to seeing pictures in good time.

Good luck!

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
714 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld, enjoy your stay :)

Mine is outside all year round, do not have the luxury of a big enough garage plus my garage holds my 'kit car'! Keep the car clean and the roof seals and joints greased and lubed and you shouldn't have any problems...

and remember "search is your friend" :)

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks very much all. Appreciate the warm welcome.

I will keep experimenting with the search function, thanks for the links. The SLK's on this thread are absolutely amazing! Once I learn how to drive one (I'm told it's a skill), in a few years I'll hopefully be able to upgrade.

I've been looking into nano finishes on body's as a bit of protection from the elements, hopefully secured a spot for a garage-ish space (more of a shed really).

Will probably be exploring/posting a bit more over the weekend.

Thanks again people.

RLander.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,247 Posts
Thanks very much all. Appreciate the warm welcome.

I will keep experimenting with the search function, thanks for the links. The SLK's on this thread are absolutely amazing! Once I learn how to drive one (I'm told it's a skill), in a few years I'll hopefully be able to upgrade.

When using search always start your question with 'SLKWorld.com' to get forum specific answers and 'R170' to get model orientated answers (drop the R170 if you struggle to find an answer).
Brace yourself for a lot of answers on the well documented R170.
Also, remember that we are truly worldwide.
A play with words such as tyre/tire, hood/bonnet etc

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,052 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts