Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard different opinions about changing the transmission fluid in a 2001 SLK 230. Some say the transmission never needs changed and others say every 100,000 miles. I am now at 100,000 miles and need some help with this answer. Also is there a good youtube how to for the 2001 - 2004 transmission fluid change? Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
On all my MB's I have always had change with filter done at 40-50k miles, never had any problems. Some by dealer (expensive) most by Independents (less expensive).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I had my trans oil and filter changed at 80,000 miles. I don't care for MB saying sealed for life. I had it done by local independent for reasonable cost and peace of mind. I would always change the trans oil by this time for any make.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
and your maintenance 'bible' manual says?

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
If the trans was sealed for life like the dealer says then why would they sell filters and trans fluid. I changed my filter and fluid every three years, thats just my preference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will Be Done

I got it change the transmission fluid. Will do when the weather breaks... We still have snow on the ground. Really it is the last week in March and snow on the ground come on... Hope the first week in April the temp goes up at least to 50 before I change the trans oil... Again thanks for your answers....I got the oil, filter and gasket yesterday and get on the job as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
One other thing i did was to place a strong magnet in the lowest point on the pan in order to catch any metal shaveings, you never know.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Magnet began to appear in these transmissions about 2001. Make sure you are using the correct ATF when you service it. Do a search - there are some nice DIY threads about the procedure that should help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transmission fluid?

I am going to use ATF amsoil transmission fluid. Amsoil is stating that the transmission fluid is what MB calls for I know it is not MB transmission fluid but at 30.00 a Qt. that is just out of the question...This is my summer beater car for around town driving and looking cool, so I don't want to spend $800.00 for a transmission oil change.. I am doing it myself and hope it will workout just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shell 134

Shell 134 is the best fluid for the R170. It has 236.14 spec & back spec to 12 & 10. You can get a case of 12 at Shell distributor for about $64

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.