Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Very sore (but extremely lucky not to be in hospital right now) from Inverinate NW Scotland here :crying:

OK, so throughout my whole life I have always drummed into apprentices the IMPORTANCE of making certain an Auto Trans Car is in NEUTRAL or PARK !!

So, I had had a really good morning, the guy with the V12 CL has just come and settled his bill for £1000's and I've done all today's work by lunchtime :)

Before I head to the bank and pay all the much needed money in, I'm thinking to myself I'll just rearrange the Cars outside, stick the W220 parts car on the lift and start ripping it to bits tomorrow, so I'll do that before I head off to the bank and get a couple of well earned beers on the way back at lunchtime ;)

So as per usual, I pull the car into the workshop, and stop short of the lift post, open the door and get out, ready to push it forward so I can put the lift legs under and stick it up in the air, I have selected Neutral (so I think), as I get out, my wallet with all the payments from customers in it falls out down onto the front passenger (left) seat .....................

Realising this, (now it gets sketchy because absolute panic and shock took over), but I think I kinda put my left leg in the car so I could bend over the console and retrieve my wallet, at which point I hit the throttle, (floored), so I'm now hanging outta the door and the Car takes off like a scalded Cat ............................

All I can remember is the door hitting the lift post and smashing my right leg between it and the sill, and the door top hitting my right shoulder and a thump on my right elbow, next thing I realise I'm sat in the Car head over the passenger side and left foot smashed hard on the brake pedal, car is now Idling, and a whole heap of destroyed workshop stuff around me, looks like a nuclear bomb has exploded !!

After the lift post the door then has a second go at demolishing me as we go through the bricked opening into the rear half of the Workshop :surprise:

How the hell me and the car didn't end up through the back wall and across the back garden, over the cliff top and into the loch I simply don't know ......................

Pics below are the Carnage, the second pic shows the dent in the back door where (I think) my elbow hit it, presumably the lift post pushed my right arm backwards into it .........................

A lot of pain from badly bruised and aching soft tissues, but thankfully, (and I don't honestly know how), but no broken bones, just a lot of bruises, and a very swollen lower leg !!

I'll sort out the Carnage tomorrow, the back half of the workshop needed tidying up anyway :grin: and most of the stuff that got damaged will now be skipped ...................

Guess I need a new Gas Space Heater before the winter, I've barely used the petrol Pressure Washer, so I don't think I'll bother replacing it, we now pay a Gardener, so no point fixing Mels Mower, the thing I am most upset about is the R170 Rear Screen / Roof Panel which was completely rust free and bought recently to go on my SLK after the V8 Conversion, when I get to sorting all it's paintwork :crying:

RIGHT ........................ LESSON HERE FELLAS .......................

MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOUR CAR IS IN NEUTRAL OR PARK BEFORE GETTING OUT OF THE CAR
:frown:

Pics ..................

Cheers for now, :wink:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
Glad you are relatively unhurt :D

·
Super Moderator
11,036 Posts
Just like carpentry work--check twice , get ready to cut, check again and then cut once.

Glad you're still here to tell us about it :tu:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Rule 1 for any FooBar, survive.

You got that bit right, mate.

Hope you have a smooth recovery and damage is not as bad as first looks.
And rule 2 is don't keep it a secret because the next person to do it may not be so lucky. You got that right too.

Really glad you are ok(ish) and here to tell the tale. Shame about the car and workshop but thats just replaceable "stuff" unlike your irreplaceable good self.

Take care and a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,812 Posts
Well taken advice.

You're very fortunate your injuries aren't worse.

Have a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I wonder if you accidentally bumped the shifter when you reached over and put it from N to D? Anyway, glad you weren't seriously hurt, material possessions can be replaced easily!

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
**** sake Dave :eek:

We do hear about these workshop accidents and that just goes to show that even the most experienced amongst us can fall foul of mishaps. Hang in there big fella, glad you're still with us (I'm sure you are as well)

Wishing you a speedy recovery :gh:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the kind comments.

The car was definitely still in D, the first thing to go in through the Drivers door was my left leg, which I thought I was planting on the floor under the Brake, but in actual fact I mashed the Throttle and it took off instantly.

Very very sore today, bruises are coming out, I'm just in the Workshop now, sifting through the Carnage, I've got a bunch of work next week so got to get it sorted before Monday, I just know tomorrow my leg, shoulder and neck will be even stiffer !!

The only other casualty was one of my 2 my SDS Laptop, the original 2014 one I bought, but it looks like a screen and lid swap will hopefully sort it, and I still have a few Dells unused in the loft from my last job lot EBay purchase :wink:
@Turdo2 ,

LOL, you've got my sense of humour mate, and if ever there was any doubt I might have put the V6 from my R170 in that Car, and resurrected / sold it, that doubt is now completely gone !!

I will take great delight in stripping it of all good parts and fragg the rest ..........................

It is 101% now destined to be Baked Bean cans for sure !!

Cheers fellas, Dave

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
TFFT, you being still here to complain about it

and I thank you as well. from now on my garage rule is only ever get in and out of a car which is in P with the handbrake on.
I'm paranoiac enough, but this has me trembling.
Hopefully the worst thing will be you explaining it to the insurance company. Better than the funeral director...:wink:

get well soon, a radox bath beckons, and the door on the w220 will buff out.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
What you learn from things like this is that the human body is terribly soft and squidgy! You had a fortunate escape.

That bloody accelerator pedal seems to be a magnet for any foot that comes near it! I've mashed the pedal getting in and out several times, thankfully with the engine off or the box in park and every time I drive it seems to have a habit of sucking my right foot closer to the firewall. :) :)

Cars, most cars these days do a tremendous job of protecting us when it all goes wrong, I've driven a car into the side of a train at 60 mph and walked away, ( older and wiser but still walking ) but it is all predicated on being entirely inside the car at the time!

Ifyou insist on testing your 0-60 time one might suggest that being properly seated before the event starts might be a good plan. Also athough our cars are pretty slick, 0-60 and a full stop is difficult to acheive inside 15 metres or less! :) :) :)

·
AND MABEL
13,800 Posts
Lesson learned! I always double check I've left Mabel in Park before exiting the cockpit after she rolled back on the handbrake, whilst on our Islands tour, and nearly ran into the front of the car behind me.

Glad you didn't suffer any serious injuries to yourself Dave. :tu:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts