Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the SLK store, and i was wondering if THIS is the same thing as the hydraulics thingy on the back of the trunk, the pic is small and i'm not sure what a "strut" is.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I was browsing the SLK store, and i was wondering if THIS is the same thing as the hydraulics thingy on the back of the trunk, the pic is small and i'm not sure what a "strut" is.
Yes it is, and they're surprisingly cheap for a genuine MB part. Change them, and they will do wonders for the top of your head :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
There's a great DIY how how to change them. Took about 10 minutes following the steps. I agree on Woolly's comment about the top of your head remark. I never would have thought that trunk was that heavy. :biglaugh:

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Be careful taking out the stops (rubber pieces that limit the trunk opening up) - they can and do (aargh) fall down inside the brushes (that accept the folding mechanism). There's a dealer in Atlanta that sell them for $20ea (and I'm not saying SLK World is overpriced). I'll see if I can find their address.

Bingo - mymercedesparts.com

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Yes it is, and they're surprisingly cheap for a genuine MB part. Change them, and they will do wonders for the top of your head :)
I've had no concussions since I installed the new struts. The removal, install is an easy "job".

And to Der Flieger's recommendation; mmp has great customer service and prices. I ordered online on Sunday, and they were on my front porch Wednesday... not bad, not bad at all :Beer:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a great DIY how how to change them. Took about 10 minutes following the steps. I agree on Woolly's comment about the top of your head remark. I never would have thought that trunk was that heavy. :biglaugh:

Enjoy,
Dave
Someone link me on the DIY? :D

also i didn't realize it was this cheap to get it fixed.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Someone link me on the DIY? :D

also i didn't realize it was this cheap to get it fixed.
They are dead easy to swap over. Open the trunk and look at the hinge Halfway up is a rubber triangular shaped stop. You need to pop this off (both sides) little flat bladed screw driver to pop them out. Dont drop them down where the brushes are. Then you can push the trunk lid right back. Best hold it in place with a zip tie round the hinge. Then just flip off the black springs at the end of the lifters ( carefully) then you can pull the ball end of the peg they sit on. Reverse the process to fit the new ones. Cut the zip tie and ease the hinge apart ( might need to lever it a bit Then replace the rubbers. Job done. There are pictures somehwere but I cant find the thread

·
Registered
27 Posts
We were looking at an used 350 when my wife wanted to see how much room was in the
trunk as she peered in the trunk headed down. It was close.

Glad to have the information.

It will be the first addition to my new used 350.

Thanks, JG

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I replaced these in December and find it somewhat odd the hood struts(possibly(probably!?) the same age as the trunk struts) work perfectly...

In all honesty, the trunk "only" hit me twice; once on the arm(left a big bruise) and once on the head(actually drew a bit blood...).

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I replaced these in December and find it somewhat odd the hood struts(possibly(probably!?) the same age as the trunk struts) work perfectly...

In all honesty, the trunk "only" hit me twice; once on the arm(left a big bruise) and once on the head(actually drew a bit blood...).
Yes the hood struts seem to last. Maybe they arent used as much. Especially if its a woman owner ( gonna go and hide now ) :biglaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.