Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having difficulty after repairing my hydraulic cylinders. Before I started the job, I noticed that the pump reservoir was empty. I filled it to the indicated marks in order to engage the roof to the halfway point to fix the cylinders.

After completion, I hand-lowered the top into the trunk and then after starting the car with the parking brake on, pressed the button to engage the top to close it. After a few seconds it finally began to lift the top. When it reached to closed point, I noticed that the small wing windows would not engage and close in order to complete the roof operation.

When I tried to let the top back down, there is apparently insufficient fluid in the top cylinder to release it. I could see the top trying to gently pull back but the top latch was apparently holding it so I stopped. I then tried to close it all the way again to complete the cycle and the button flashes but will not engage the roof.

I now have a condition where the button simply flashes and if I push it in either direction, I get no movement.

Anyone experience a problem like this and if so, any ideas how to correct it? I know the pump is supposed to be self-priming, but with all the cylinders positioned above the pump, I can't see where the air can be displaced by the hydraulic fluid.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further Info

Let me hold on this post. I located and downloaded a troubleshooting guide.

Looks like I've got some investigative work to do first.

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof Problem

Okay,

Here's what happened. The roof initially did not function, reservoir was empty and cylinders leaking. Fixed cylinders and hand-lowered top into trunk. Engaged hydraulics and the top came up and closed, all except for the accessory windows for some reason.

When I went to let the top back down, it jammed and would not disconnect from the pillar. In fact, it was so jammed that I ultimately had to take off the pillar trim and disconnect both latch brackets so that it would come loose. I've attached pictures for the reason why I had to do so.

So now I'm faced with questions for why the latches are inconsistent in both their fit and their function. I note that a cable extends to each latch and in examining them, it does not appear that extending the right cable would allow the latch to open any further because the left cable is tight when the left latch is fully open and because they are both hooked to the center cam, it doesn't appear that it will let the right arm extend any further.

I'm not certain what to do about the left sensor. The tab is the same on the left as the right and yet it doesn't even touch it on the left by comparison to the right.

I also noted that there are cables going to latches on the arms adjacent to the rear pillar posts which allow the latches to engage small cams protruding outward. I noted that these latches were also not fully disengaging and was also part of the reason that the top was jammed.

I suppose my question at this point is whether anyone has experienced anything similar and what type of adjustments are possible that would correct the latch positions at the windshield pillar and the arms near the rear pillar posts.

Any help or recommendations appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uhhh . . . .problem solved

just a case of cephalo rectus invertus. :butt:

anyone who saw this post and looked at the pictures probably realized right away what the problem was.

Did the same thing in medical school one time. Fortunately, no patient came to harm as a consequence.

Is there an eject button for this entire thread? At this point, I find no plausible use for it other than relocating it to the wall of shame.

·
Registered
351 Posts
anyone who saw this post and looked at the pictures probably realized right away what the problem was.

I'm here to learn - don't have a clue as to what the problem was. Please explain what was wrong.

At present - my top will come half way up - then it stops. I've had the car for about a year - never a problem with the roof. I've been keeping my finger crossed - knowing that the roofs can be a problem in a 15 year old car…

Previous owner had the hyd. seals replaced about a year before I bought the car.. So I have had no reason to get into this aspect of ownership..

So now I'm all eyes and ears { so to speak}… clue me in..

Carl B.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm only paying tribute to my own stupidity by responding but it serves me right. Your gracious attempt to throw me a life preserver is appreciated and a gentle reminder of the true purpose of an online forum.

The center actuator in the roof does not simply bolt in place, but rather has slotted holes in order to equally divide the linkage distance between the left and right latches so that they both operate in a coordinated fashion and each meet their respective sensor and latch receiver with timely precision. When I lowered the center actuator to remove the hydraulic cylinder and repair it, I failed to take note of the slotted holes and consequently bolted it back in place without a thought to the matter. Consequently, it was far from being correctly positioned and placed the latches at such a point that when the top was closed, it became jammed and would not re-open because the right latch could not clear the receiver. I was forced to remove the top pillar trim and actually remove the latch receivers in order to release the top.

In effect, I took pictures and made description of a problem that I myself created without even so much as a second of forethought to study the issue. Only a fool looks at footprints directly behind him and becomes perplexed by their origin.

As to the problem with your own top, there is a troubleshooting guide on the forum that I found very informative:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1329206-vario-roof.html#post3582000.

I also located a schematic of the roof system sensors at

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1299990-vario-roof-diagnostics.html

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,065 Posts
Stop apologizing, it sets a bad precedent :) If just I had to apologize for every "duh" moment I've had when posting, we'd all drown in apologies.

In other words, great work, great post.

From what you've said, I've already learned two things: the obvious (the center mechanism must be calibrated) and the not so obvious (the switches in the latches are closed when the latches are closed, not vice versa - valuable information when troubleshooting)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Benzer101:
Thanks for taking the time to walk me through that, as well as supplying useful links for trouble shooting roof problems.. Now all I need is time to get out in the garage and work the problem..

If it isn't one thing - it's another…

Carl B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.