Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Have you exposed the pump? On the top towards the front is the filler hole. Remove the screw, I believe it is a 5mm Allen head, and fill there. Unless you have a very small funnel, you could use a syringe with some vinyl tubing to inject the hydraulic fluid into the pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How to put in the hydraulic oil into Roof pump?
Thanks
There is a thread on replacing the oil. If it looks darker and gritty, you might want to consider replacing the whole reservoir of it.

In either case, I use poly tube and insert it to the bottom of the oil "can" (it comes in a syringes as noted or 1L typical type oil "cans") and then start to suck/syphon it up into the tube. It's pretty thick for a 1/4" (6 mm) tube, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you aren't paying attention . . . The tube I used was about 3 feet (1 m) long and I held it with paper towels at both ends to deal with any drippage.

Hold the can above the fender, then hold the other end of the tube to the fill hole (remove the screw first of course) and then let gravity do it's thing. The oil is pretty thick for this, so it takes a while, 5+ minutes, to fill from 0. Wait till it gets near the top mark and then lower the can into the trunk spare well to stop the flow.

Very easily controlled if a little slow.

Good luck.

:Beer:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you happen to know a nurse (and lets face it, most of us do), ask her to get a 50ml syringe and a 'giving set' (the plastic tube that attaches the drip bag to a connector on the body i.e. cannula or similar). The giving set is around 6ft long and obviously can be cut to length.

My wife is on a drip for 12 hours a day every day at home and we have got loads of these things..... but obviously, that little bit of info doesn't help you very much, I am in UK, otherwise.....

·
Registered 2000 slk 320
301 Posts
my roof needs a little nudge to get going ,after reading the threads,ive lubed all the joints and latches and after checking hydraulic oil,its below the min level,so anyone got picture of filler plug,cos i,m really not sure which it is:confused:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
my roof needs a little nudge to get going ,after reading the threads,ive lubed all the joints and latches and after checking hydraulic oil,its below the min level,so anyone got picture of filler plug,cos i,m really not sure which it is:confused:
Here's a link explaining where this bolt is:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/9871-how-refill-hydraulic-pump-hard-top.html#post107952
It's on top of the pump.
BE CAREFUL while unscrewing it! Once you drop it, there's only 1% chance you'll get it from the "black hole" without spending day taking all the plastic apart... ;)

You can see this screw on the far left:
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/JaysonMotion/Roof Hydraulic Pump/P1010518_zps0993701b.jpg

And here's a full DIY thread on replacing the fluid:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/25664-roof-hydraulic-pump-draining.html

If yours is low, check if any cylinder is leaking. First check 4 in the trunk and then locking one under the headliner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.