Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smile: Hi everyone. I am thinking (and planning) to rebuild the hydraulic cylinders (all 5 of them) in my 2001 SLK320 vario roof. Can somebody please tell me if I also need to take the whole cylinder with the hydraulic lines? Or can I just do the rebuilding without taking out the hydraulic lines? I've been reading a lot of posts but it is not clear to me. I might have missed the info. I have removed all the trim panels, including the headliner and I now have access to all the cylinders. I am open for your good advice on this project.
Thanks in advance. :smile:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a quick reply. Iv'e watched all the Top Hydraulics DIY videos but alll the instructions necessitates removal of the cylinder including the hydraulic hose. My question is do I have to remove the hydraulic hoses from the main pump before I can rebuild the cylinder?

·
94,886 Posts

·
94,886 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is possible to rebuild without removing, however if you've removed all panels it's very easy to go ahead and remove the lines - and I recommend doing so.
Thanks efair. I think I will heed your advice and remove the cylinders and the hydraulic lines to rebuild. I will try the Top Lock cylinder first since it is one of the two cylinders (out of the 5) that has a small leak at the piston rod. Is it really necessary to drill a small hole on the cylinder body to remove the snap ring? This is one of my big concerns. I wonder if anyone has tried to remove the snap ring successfully without drilling an hole?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,682 Posts
I'm sure there is a special tool that will remove the retainer ring, but I don't know what it is or where to get one. Really though - there's no harm in drilling a small hole to facilitate removal. Or cutting a slot.

If you do drill, I also recommend you find a 1" length of brass or aluminum tubing, cut it lengthwise, and slip it around the piston rod while you're drilling. This is to protect the rod... in case you do slip you won't nick the rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts