Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK250d
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been avoiding red cars in my search for a 172, but have come across a hyacinth red, is the paintwork on that red OK? Or should I still avoid

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,374 Posts
I too avoided red until I found one in Hyacinth red. Been fine so far at five years :smile:
NB photo in my signature was taken on a dull day - it looks way better in bright light or full sun.
EDIT - it's a Designo metallic colour option at about £1K when new unless on a 55 when it was about half that.

·
Registered 2016 SLK250d
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search for hyacinth, and found no immediate posts, fire opal on the other hand revealed people on their 2nd respray. I've been looking for several weeks and o ly now spotted hyacinth red, and it's on quite a late model so was wondering if it replaced the fire opal due to the issues.

Seems quite rare, but worried about resale in case it gets lumped in with the general 'red' avoid message.

·
2,374 Posts
It's a completely different paint. Fire opal/Mars red are plain red. Hyacinth red is metallic.
It is quite a rare colour but, if there have been problems, a search for 'Mercedes Designo Hyacinth Red Metallic paint issues' would bring up anything I would have thought.
Most folk who see my SLK seem to like the colour.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,739 Posts
@sparkyhx hyacinth red is not just limited to SLK's and is available across the MB range of cars. I have seen @Windinmyhair car in the flesh and I love the colour.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
23 Posts
I've had a Mars red R170 which was perfect, ditto the W203 - it's down to looking after the paint, and I guess the car being garaged is a big factor.

I have an S213 in hyacinth red and it's a very understated colour until you get light on it - then it looks stunning. I've never heard of issues with it.

Attachments

·
2,374 Posts
I've had a Mars red R170 which was perfect, ditto the W203 - it's down to looking after the paint, and I guess the car being garaged is a big factor.

I have an S213 in hyacinth red and it's a very understated colour until you get light on it - then it looks stunning. I've never heard of issues with it.
Not sure if the problems with the Mars red is entirely down to how the paint is looked after or not but good care and careful storage may well help alleviate potential issues.

I hadn't a clue what Hyacinth red looked like 'in the metal' so toddled off to my nearest MB dealer to see if they had anything in the colour [the SLK I was interested in was 150 miles away at the time]
Ironically it was an S213 that they happened to have in the colour.
@sparkyhx - if you are viewing the car on a dull day, take an LED torch and shine it on the paintwork to get a better idea of the appearance on a sunny day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts