Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving and have to sell our baby. My husband has left me in charge of selling it as he is off on business.

Help! The top suddenly will not come back up! The windows go down and I can hear some clicking but the top will not come up...

:surprise:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hey I'll buy that baby. Three sets of hormone shots and no joy yet.

Someone will chime in who has more experience, but I believe your owners manual outlines a procedure to raise the top manually, or womanly in your case. If you don't have the manual, provide car details and someone (named Jeff) will send you a link to the PDF version.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

The following threads might help with troubleshooting the vario roof issue:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/205121-vario-roof-troubleshooting-tree-r170-courtesy-leapyfish.html
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/213617-vario-roof-diagnostic-aid.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
Thank you
Dave

·
11,405 Posts
or, check-out the "Top Operation" section of the following page for those manual roof operation instructions:
SLK-Class!

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,794 Posts
Hi and welcome from Lakeland, FL!

Don't sell your SLK! Our Spring meet was a few minutes from you!

Living in Florida and joining the forum has special perks! We have a very active and fun Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - FLORIDA SLK and you’ll definitely want to join us.

Our last meet http://www.slkworld.com/u-s-florida/339161-florida-spring-meet-lakeridge-winery-picture-thread-april-9th.html

You can view all our meets at U.S. Florida - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

We are planning the Third Annual Florida SLK Group October 29, 2016 in Lakeland, and we’d like you to join us!

You can follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SlkWorld?re...homepage_panel

Thanks for joining the forum and we look forward to meeting you!

Marykay
Florida Event Coordinator

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,371 Posts
If I remember correctly the R 170 has a manual over ride on the left side in the trunk it gives you instruction in the Owners manual how to do it and Welcome from Phoenix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still not working

My car is a 2004 SLK 32 AMG. One of you kind persons sent me instructions for a different model I believe.

Can this model be closed manually?

It feels good to know there are people out there who care.

:crying::laugh:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,070 Posts
You can put the roof up manually, but there is a chance you may not be able to raise the triangular windows until you resolve the underlying roof problem.

You first need to locate a few things:

1) The Hex wrench behind the access panel for the roof pump. The pump is on the right-hand side in the trunk.
2) The brass "emergency relief valve" on the roof pump.
3) The two "emergency release" cables. These are steel cables about a foot long with a loop on the end, and are hidden behind the access panels on the left and right side. You'll have to remove the access panels left and right to find these.

Can you find these?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I taped a for sale sign on the rear window. Could this be the reason the top will not come back up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can a sign taped to the rear window cause "closure" issues?

My car is a 2004 SLK 32 AMG. One of you kind persons sent me instructions for a different model I believe.

Can this model be closed manually?

It feels good to know there are people out there who care.

:crying::laugh:
I taped a for sale sign on the rear window. Could this be why it will not close?0:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very Kind of you

Pixie,

I live in Lakeland but will be in your general area this afternoon. If you haven't had any luck with the roof by then, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you.

Tim
I am having trouble with how to use this forum (never used one before) so I am unsure if this is where I should reply to you.

I am calling the shop when they open to ask if the for sale sign I taped to the back window could cause this or if it must be something else.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Advise needed

Could the for sale sign I taped to the back window have anything to do with the top not coming up?:nerd::crying:

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Could the for sale sign I taped to the back window have anything to do with the top not coming up?:nerd::crying:
Unless it fell off and got jammed somewhere I don't think that would be the case. Have any of the hydraulic cylinders for the top leaked, been replaced or rebuilt? How is the fluid level?

You can't send PM's here until you have 15 posts, so you can email me. My email is [email protected]

Tim

·
11,405 Posts
I am having trouble with how to use this forum (never used one before) so I am unsure if this is where I should reply to you.

I am calling the shop when they open to ask if the for sale sign I taped to the back window could cause this or if it must be something else.

Thank you
Hi Pixie, the best way to reply to one person's post in your thread is to use the "Quote" button immediately under the post or comment that you're trying to reply to, which is exactly what you did to Tim (El_Toro_33809). :tu:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts