Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to do a search about my issue but it seems that most of them are related towards the front of the vehicle.
Took my SLK out to work today and I noticed with the top up a deep humming sound coupled with a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear somewhere. This only happens at speeds between 40 and about 50 mph. I don't know what it is. Any suggestions? Anybody experience similar issues? Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I have a feeling it is the wheel bearing. The tires are fairly new. There is vibration in the back like something is not balanced. I am thinking it could also be the drive shaft? Can those go out of whack?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the tires and wheel bearings check out, it could be one of the flex discs on your driveshaft that's going out.
The SLK will have two, one at the front of the shaft and one at the rear, and they look like big rubber donuts that act as connectors between the tranny, the driveshaft and the diff. The rubber can get dry and crack creating symptoms similar to what you're describing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.