Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could have been worse

Potentially very nasty, looking at the replays. Cars airborne and landing on other cars, plus a brief fire erupted in the wreckage.
With crashed cars jammed against each other and tight up against the barriers some drivers had difficulty escaping - there is a bit of video (shot in the immediate aftermath by Tom Coronel I think) showing someone clambering out of the tailgate, which had just been opened by another driver to release him.
The initial impact dislodged sections of barrier which then impaled a following car, luckily missing the driver. Could have been another Kubica type of crash.

Thankfully minor injuries only to 3 drivers but a huge amount of expensive damage.

The GT cars had a similar shunt at Macau late last year - front runners crashed on the exit of a blind bend then everyone else piled in.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
This is the problem with racing on regular streets. I also find Monaco to be my least favorite F1 circuit for its similar issues.

From the IFA-WTCR website”

“Racing has been held on the hillside roads of Vila Real since 1931, when Gaspar Sameiro and Ercilio Barbosa conquered the original 7.150-kilometre course in a Ford Model A.”

So you now have some of the fastest homologated production cars on the same narrow track where Model A raced.. No room for passing and no room or runoff if someone makes an error.

·
Super Moderator
11,558 Posts
"Video is not available" on that site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts