Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have
remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at
home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold
your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at
your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on
their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your
keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away,
and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you
can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I really don't think cell phones pick up RF signals.. I think the mic feeds on the vibration of air and converts this to a transferable digital signal and vica verca on the other phone. Maybe i'm wrong?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
no way this would work...for any car that i can think of. Even if the mics and speakers could pick up and transmit the RF (which is virtually impossible) the cellphone companies wouldn't be transmitting those frequencies, as it's a waste for them...they are downsampling the audio as much as possible as it is.

There IS a way to unlock the car with your cellphone though...make sure you are subscribed to teleaid, and call them. They have the codes necessary.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i think this might only work on "Kit" from Knight Rider...

If you have David Hasselhoff tied up and make him say to "Kit" over a cellphone to open the doors/trunk... Then it would work :)

Then again keys locked inside "Kit" would mean you were driving the car around in the first place, which is cool, but them being locked in is not your biggest problem. Having David Hasselhoff tied up in your basement may be the issue to deal with first first :)

There is almost no chance this would ever work unless the alarm was controled via sound. Sound > Data > Sound is how cellphones work.

There used to be a trick back in the day (1994ish) where you can make free phone calls from payphones. You take $5 worth of change, a micro-tape recorder to the payphone's speaker on the handset as you are throwing in the change. When you are done with all your change, the payphone would chime a bunch of tones. Recording those tones and then later playing them back to the payphone gave you $5 of talk credit every time you played it there after. This was all good till phone companies noticed hours upon hours of talk time on their payphones, yet no coin to justify it. (This trick was also featured in a movie called Hackers)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
This worked on some pay phones up until 1998. You could actually install a program on your computer, and you could program it to directly dial through the speakers as well. don't have to touch the phone at all except to lift it off the receiver..don't ask me how i know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It works!!!

My secretary told me about this. I doubted it but then she said it works and she could prove it. She walked out with me to her car. She left her keys with her daughter. Her daughter then called her and pushed her unlock button while holding it to her cell phone. My secretary held her cell phone by the door of her car and it unlocked. I promise it is true.:tu:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
my guess is the original remote was still within range of the car to open it. If she can repeat this a few city blocks away with both hands holding the phone ;) then i might reconsider this as fact.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just by reading the subject... i immediately think of using the cell phone to break the side window to unlock the car~ LOL~~~

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i have tried this a few times. sometimes it works smoetimes not.
i have been made to look like a total prat before trying to prove it works!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I convinced a guy one time the car I had got 60 MPG. I filled up the tank, we drove about 60 miles for lunch and while we were inside, my buddy poured more gas into the car. When we finished lunch, I filled up and it took less than 1 gallon, that guy nearly died. To this day he is none the wiser, Oh that car was a 427 Corvette 435HP 4 speed, really got about 8 mpg unless you pushed the long pedal too hard. When I flew for the government years ago, I was given a device to put up to the phone and press the button, a code was transmitted to validate me, but you heard a tone when the thing activated. Most remote keys are infra red or such so I don't know... Maybe the daughter was across the parkin lot playin wid ya. I have a friend that is a wizard wid lectric stuff, Ill throw this at him see what he says. 20 years ago you told me we would have computers I'd have said bull, but look what those lectric wizards have done wid sand.:biglaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.