Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like standard brake pads from my chrysler van? Slide bars the calipers run on ,,2 caliper slide nuts,,hardware,,,,,,for rotor removal 1 vortex screw,,2 main bolts,,hammer loose,,then reinstall and done,,,,,am i wrong on this ,,i didnt check the passanger side yet,,is there a sensor in that side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,these are more simple than the clip and pins on the video i saw from other class mercedes,,,,,,thanks gary ps this site is difficlut to navagate,,,not to computer site savy,,,

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
That is pretty well it! They are the same principle as any other car - eg your Chrysler van. With any luck though, you should not have to hammer anything loose if the previous change used some copper slip behind the discs.

However, I see your car is 2011 and you are posting your question in the R171 section, so assume it is an R171..? I only ask in case you have in fact an early R172 because this model requires a completely different removal procedure for the rears. Please confirm you are an R171.

As to sensors - only one side will have the low pad warning probe and the wheel sensors will be mounted behind the discs clipped to the main structure. You cannot fail to see them. They do not require removal or adjustment during your change. Assuming they are correctly mounted already of course...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,469 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont know what r171 means? is? the back brakes have the pin that hold the pads in that from ive seen gets tapped out first then holder removed then pads removed,,,22000 on car that i just bought and they look fine over 1/2 left,,,fronts will have to be done first,,,havent removed the rt side ft tire yet to see the sensor,,,,,on another note this site is very difficult to navigate for me ,,,,,,they keep wanting me to post an introduction which i thought i did but his instructions how to do are thoroghly confusing,,,,any one i can call on phone to walk me through? tks gary

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,469 Posts
dont know what r171 means? is? the back brakes have the pin that hold the pads in that from ive seen gets tapped out first then holder removed then pads removed,,,22000 on car that i just bought and they look fine over 1/2 left,,,fronts will have to be done first,,,havent removed the rt side ft tire yet to see the sensor,,,,,on another note this site is very difficult to navigate for me ,,,,,,they keep wanting me to post an introduction which i thought i did but his instructions how to do are thoroghly confusing,,,,any one i can call on phone to walk me through? tks gary
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/212745-what-r170-r171-r172.html

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
dont know what r171 means? is?
As you are Stateside, I am pretty sure you have 171 as the first 172s would be 2012, so no panic. But just in case you have the one an only special import - if you see a big plastic actuator attached to each of the rear calipers, come back and ask the question!

Do not be alarmed that the rear discs will be hard to come off, it is because there is a drum in the centre that houses the handbrake mechanism, so with the shoes rubbing in the drum, it takes a little persuasion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.