Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK55 AMG
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have made great progress fitting the reverse sensors.
Now I need to remove the carpet trim in the boot to get at the wiring and I have a plastic panel held by 3 plastic rivets to take out, see picture.
How the **** do I get these rivets out without breaking them ?
I thought maybe pushing 3 pins into the slots would do the trick but no !

I will make a coffee and hope for an quick answer !

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
he be working on it :D

·
*Registered
2015 SLK55 AMG
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eureka the photo exists !

I had come to a handy point to stop, my 17" Wheels arrived so I have fitted them and Ill come back to the sensor wiring tomorrow.

The sensors are in the bumper and wired back into the boot, looks like a bought one !

Wheels are in perfect ummarked as new condition and they have P Zeros with at least 7.5mm, I think they must have been taken off a car with just delivery mileage.

So whats the trick to get these plastic studs out ?

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,862 Posts
Eureka the photo exists !

I had come to a handy point to stop, my 17" Wheels arrived so I have fitted them and Ill come back to the sensor wiring tomorrow.

The sensors are in the bumper and wired back into the boot, looks like a bought one !

Wheels are in perfect ummarked as new condition and they have P Zeros with at least 7.5mm, I think they must have been taken off a car with just delivery mileage.

So whats the trick to get these plastic studs out ?
Id imagine a v shaped special tool would hook them out but be careful not to damage them or the surrounding area of plastic .

·
*Registered
2015 SLK55 AMG
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a forked rivet pry, no help.
I will probably just break them to get them out, odd thing is they turn freely and there is no expansion pin at all.
It looks as if the three slots will take a 3 pronged tool and I tried to unlatch it with 3 panel pins, but to no avail.
Maybe once I have broken the first I can fathom out how it works.
I even used google images to see if could find them, nothing like them.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK55 AMG
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, there is no detent feel at all, it turns freely, its not a screw thread.
I have taken trim clips off all sorts of cars and never come across one like this.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Over the years I've encountered many such strange beasts on my own cars & when such clips DO break upon extraction I've replaced them with very large oversized course threaded screws. They cut their own thread through the plastics & make subsequent removal easy.
No exactly professional but worked for me.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
To close this off - you apply more force, they eventuallu pop out. The 3 slots have no function at all.
I surmised that you might not be using the right tool..?
A necessary addition to today's tool box are a set of plastic rivet hooks (they come in sets of three and cover every plastic fastener known to man - buy the metal ones, not the plastic versions) and a set of trim removing tools...

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,862 Posts
You cant beat a professional tool to do a job and without ruining the plastic retainer lugs and the surounding trim .

And ive seen some right bodge jobs in my time . :frown:

Heres a recent one i came across . :surprise:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.