Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Post edited 12/15/2012)
Dear fellow members,
I just changed my serpentine belts today! I must say it's an easy job! The hardest part is to "build" an extension :biglaugh:
I read this post by Bazzle from Benzoworld.com too =)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1298770-serpentine-belt-replacement.html#post2187392

There are 2! serpentine belts on my SLK 230, So I think it's better to replace it at the same time. I drive it for about 40,000 miles and hell knows when these were changed. They look good though. My friend took a look at it and said they were a little dry, and that they need to be changed every 70,000 miles. He showed me his and it looked pretty much of the same condition, and he is at 70,000 miles on it and is about to replace his.

The 2 belts I need will total me $52 + shipping, so it's not that expensive and will avoid my guessing when the hell will they tear apart =)

So, here we have our tension pulleys:
Passenger's side:

Driver's side:

And here's a diagram described in the manual on How to position! belts properly: NOTE: Please take a picture anyways before your proceed and remember the location of the belts and how they are installed!

Again, left side:

Right side:

Ok, Tools you'll need:
1) Torx socket E10 as Bazzle recommended. However, I didn't have one and used 8mm socket and it worked just fine for me!
2) Extension or long bar to get a strong grip and make it easier to pull the tensioner.

My hand built extension =) I digged in my friends tools bucket and found a bunch of extensions, so I just assembled them together and mounted a socket at the end LOL =) I don't remember the size of the socket but enough to fit the handle of the wrench :biglaugh:
I think my programming skills of assembling things together work in reality too :rb

You can go ahead and search for tools online. I found some pulley belt tensioner tools for around $15-$20 but why pay extra when you just replace those once in 70k?! :)
So, to release the tension you should pull to the left, as if you're unscrewing it (counter-clockwise) NOTE: Be careful and watch you grip and fingers! Make sure they don't slip. I used a cutting glove for that purpose to protect me from injury!
You should start with the left side, since that belt sits towards to the front and you will need to slip this one off first before you get to the bigger (back one).
Left side:

Right side:

When the tension is released simply slip the belt off. Left then right one. Get your new shiny belt =)
This is how mine looked in comparison to the old one: (The old one on top. It proudly says "Made in Germany". The new one is on the bottom. Notice that it's from Romania :) But the quality seems to be identical. It came from MB dealer... =) )

I got mine from Mymercedesparts.com for $50 for both. Really good service! Fast and quick responses! Switched to these guys after Getmercedesparts.com didn't reply any of my emails. They do ship products your order and they are fast too, but no online customer support =(
Back to our sheep =)
Put the bigger belt (this is going to be the back one) first. Apply tension and slip it over the tensioner pulley! NOTE: CHECK that all groves are sitting properly!
Slip the smaller belt (front one) the same way. CHECK for groove sitting!
Now, after you have checked and grooves seem to be sitting correctly, start the car and immediately shut if off! (as Bazzle from Benzoworld suggested). Go check the belts! Is everything looks alright? Congratulations! You just performed 5-10 minute job worth of couple $$$'s!!!!!

Whew... hope I described it in details =)

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,332 Posts
moving to r170 general discussion section

·
Registered
579 Posts
I did mine about 1,000 miles ago, bought new mercedes belts :) you will need an inverted torques and a braker bar.....Slip that on and turn it...i forgot witch way to go...but you will see! Than slip the old belt off and reverse the procedure! (58,000)

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
There is no specified change interval on the belts. However, they are to be "checked" every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no specified change interval on the belts. However, they are to be "checked" every 60,000 miles.
So, just check for cracks or anything like that? Mine seems fine, except my friend told me it looks kind of dry and it seems to be just the time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Well it's not supposed to be wet. :)

Yes, check for cracks, shiny spots, ribs wearing off, etc. Rule of thumb I use is about ten years or 100,000 miles. Throw your old one in the trunk in case of emergency.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why does your supercharger look so different?
Bradley, I would assume that it's the matter of MB SLK "prelift" and "postlift" versions. Since I've read that even when you install Halo head lights you need special adapter harness for you "prelift" SLK, whereas "postlift" models (like mine) doesn't require one! Mine was plug and play! I think they slightly changed couple things. :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mine was plug and play...it already had the adapter in it before from factory....Is your fitting rectangle as is with no adapter? Mine is circle than a Mercedes adapter than the rectangle hole!

·
Registered
579 Posts
They were probably thinking...."These headlights are really ugly....lets give this guy the adapter so he will have no issues with aftermarkets down the rode!" Germans...always thinking ahead (;

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They were probably thinking...."These headlights are really ugly....lets give this guy the adapter so he will have no issues with aftermarkets down the rode!" Germans...always thinking ahead (;
I think you just got lucky =)) LOL! Glad you've got your adapters with the head lights! Mine are of a rectangular shape. One side has sharp angles and the other is curved.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,332 Posts
Are both belts the same or do I have to get two different belts
who are you asking? :D
thread s 3 years old

use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post oyu wish to reply to, ask a question of, or reference

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.