Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to route an mic wire across the big housing cover on the windshield for the rain-sensing wipers (and also where the rearview mirror sits).

The housing cover appears to be two tightly fitted to allow me to get the mic wire behind it. Is there any easy way to remove this cover so I can tuck the wires up under, then replace the cover over top?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I could put mine apart just because it fell off... it has two very strong metal clamps that secure the big mirror base housing to the bit that sticks in the windshield. I just stuck a flat screwdriver between both and they popped open. You can't, though, cause the winshield is there! :-/
You can just try pulling but you risk unsticking your rear view mirror and then there'll be TWO SLK owners driving around without one! :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...yea, I think I'll skip that. Still, seems like there ought to be a way to get under there for servicing purposes without permanently damaging the mount.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,187 Posts
there is as windshield replacement techs do it all the time

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Here's some pictures of my mirror.

There's a sensor? that goes in the blank square section in the base, it's dangling from my overhead light cluster right now.

Hope these help...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm trying to route an mic wire across the big housing cover on the windshield for the rain-sensing wipers (and also where the rearview mirror sits).

The housing cover appears to be two tightly fitted to allow me to get the mic wire behind it. Is there any easy way to remove this cover so I can tuck the wires up under, then replace the cover over top?
i had to do this too when I was routing my gps antenna across the top. As per my other post "The housing that covers the light sensor(in front of the OCP) can be removed by pushing it forward towards the windscreen and pulling down at same time. Takes a bit of grunt."

See my thread for a picture of it off(http://www.slkworld.com/diy-section/11993-r171-install-aftermarket-radio-replace-audio20.html), but unfortunately no step by step picture on how to actually get it off, as it was just mainly push forward and pull down at same time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Ghost. Before I give it a shot, I assume that re-assembly is just the opposite (slide the cover up while pushing in a bit towards the windshield?

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah, re-assembly is a doddle compared to getting it off. Similar to what you said, I just pushed mine back on. Once you get it off, you can see where the clamps and whatnot are. I was just worried the first time I did it because obviously I didn't want to be pulling or pushing it in a direction that was just going to break it, and I had to use a fair bit of force to actually pull it off.

Now that i've done it a few times, I'm a lot more comfortable with actually
just pulling it right off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Be careful when you take the mirror off the bracket NOT to remove the rain + light sensor unit!
I've been told today that if that happens you're almost certain to damage the unit ($70ish online!). If you just take the mirror off you shouldn't have any problems though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know this is an old thread but a current problem and the solution not adequately explained. To get the cover off, I saw that the "leg" or "stump" to which the mirror is connected is actually part of the main moulding. So I got a 25mm chisel with the thick plastic cover still on the end, placed it against the stump pointing forward and down and applied extreme pressure.it comes off with a hell of a bang but undamaged and just hangs there on the wire. To get it on, put the roof down, stand up, engage the clips, put both hands round it and pull like hell.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,187 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.