Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there and "how to" link to remove the kompressor from this 1999 SLK230. Surprisingly I can't find any information on the procedure. Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I did read that but it isn't as detailed as I had hoped for. Doesn't mention how to remove the rear intake. But thanks for the link.
(Kompressor, supercharge, blower..same same.)

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,490 Posts
Check out the 170 diys.
Although the written diys are for servicing the K,
there are two diys with links to nearly a hundred vids.
Might get lucky.

·
Registered
180 Posts
@Gmach,

I removed mine a couple of years ago to replace the supercharger oil, and I also had a cracked exhaust manifold that I needed to have welded. Removing the supercharger is pretty straightforward. Just remove the belts, the air intake manifolds, the intercooler (in front of the radiator right above the ground), and all the bolts, tubes, etc. The hardest part is maneuvering the piece out once you have it unbolted. But it was possible with my '01 SLK, so I'm sure it's possible with yours.

Sorry for the somewhat vague answer, but the bottom line is that it's not that hard. If you're mechanically inclined, just do it. Should take you about an hour. And once you've done it, change your supercharger oil. Go to a GM dealership and buy the AC Delco supercharger oil part # 12345982. It comes in a 4 oz bottle for about $14 USD and is just a few drops more than the capacity of your supercharger. It's the same stuff Mercedes sells, but much cheaper. (Both Mercedes and GM along with a host of other manufacturers use the Eaton superchargers.)

Be careful removing the filler hole bolt for the supercharger. It's fairly soft metal, and overly tight in the body of the SC. You can buy a new bolt on eBay, but the MBZ dealer won't sell you one. The old SC oil has the stink of death, so be warned.

Good luck!

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where my supercharger sounds much happier after the oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts