Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Depends on the body style of the R171:

1. Non-AMG body: these are moulded as one piece with the front bumper cover, and will be the same color as the bumper cover. They cannot be removed without major "surgery".
2. AMG body: these are separate pieces (gloss black), however I am not knowledgeable about its removal.
3. Aftermarket or OEM MB accessory chrome inserts: these are "attached" IIRC with 3M automotive double sided tape, in much the same way as the OEM rear boot/trunk spoiler.

Others that are more knowledgeable, please correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,849 Posts
Alroumi said on AMG it is a bear to get off but doable

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
and @Seanhump had a previous post where he had removed them (from his AMG) to wrap in "carbon fibre"... he didn't say how he'd removed them, but he did it after he'd already removed the bumper for something else...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly what I want to do :) wrap in carbon.. My car is an AMG 55.. I just wonder how I can take them out.. Any pics or videos? I tried to find here in the forum but didn't find nothing

·
Founding Member 2006
108,849 Posts
Sean or Moe will jump in with thoughts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,849 Posts
From Sean previous post

The OEM slats on the 55 are locked into place with clips - no double sided tape in site.

The clips and fixings are fiddly at best, but very secure once in place.

I'd probably go with tape for aftermarket stuff, unless they've bothered to replicate the exact shape of the original item...

·
Founding Member 2006
108,849 Posts
From Durkatlon

The star and the grill slats are all one piece which is permanently attached to the bumper cover. By permanent I mean that there is no way to properly remove it from the bumper without breaking off some of the tabs that are used for the attachment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From Sean previous post

The OEM slats on the 55 are locked into place with clips - no double sided tape in site.

The clips and fixings are fiddly at best, but very secure once in place.

I'd probably go with tape for aftermarket stuff, unless they've bothered to replicate the exact shape of the original item...

Is it easy to remove those clips and use it again to place the slats again?

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
It is ... once you know where they are

Just back from flying so I'll look for pics later...

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
When I had the underneath of my front bumper resprayed I asked the body shop to let me have the fins. I got them carbon fibre vinyl wrapped and asked the body shop to put them back on when reassembling the bumper. They did, but the vinyl wrap gathered a bit on the wider edge of the fin where they slide in.

This could be the body shop guy being heavy handed or there is not enough room for the wrap. Either way I'm not happy with it. So be careful to avoid my issue.

Reactions: Redfire

·
Founding Member 2006
108,849 Posts
Here is Moe's

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Proper carbon fibre, that's what I would like. Must save my pennies :laugh:

Reactions: 55russamg

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Yes they clip out, so should be no problem reverting back if you need to.

Reactions: Redfire

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
5,006 Posts
From Durkatlon

The star and the grill slats are all one piece which is permanently attached to the bumper cover. By permanent I mean that there is no way to properly remove it from the bumper without breaking off some of the tabs that are used for the attachment.
I agree with the guy that wrote that :D. However, that's the star and the grille slats, not the big "fins", which as stated before are an integral part of the bumper cover, with separate black inserts over them on AMG models. There are also aftermarket inserts available - in chrome for instance - which it looks like those are what OP has installed.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
Well the facelift AMG fins are fitted with 3m tape so no clips .
So an easy removal 2008 onwards

But the earlier ones 2008 -2004 i dont know about as both are different sizes on the year change .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.