Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove the center handrest panel of a R170 completely? The locking mechanism does not work. :( Must have a check.

Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you'll need to get the whole armrest unit out, and the procedure you need to follow has been very kindly detailed on buellwinkle's website here: http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/
When you get there, click on the DISASSEMBLY icon, and thereafter on DASHBOARD AND CONSOLE, and in that set of instructions go right on to page 4 and start by removing the radio at step 16 (wiggle something like a pen knife blade in the slits at each side of the bottom of the radio fascia and jiggle the fascia out a bit at each side in turn), skip step 20 for your purposes, and carry on to step 26, which is as far as you need go.:tu:
Meantime, after removing the screws in step 24, you have to pull the brake handle off- it's very stiff unless you squirt wd40 or similar down between the rubber and the steel shaft. Then uncrew the 2 screws fixing the rear wall (inside the storage box of the arm rest unit) to the bulkhead behind the seats, pull the whole armrest unit backwards while pushing it down at its front, to free it from the gear shift section seen in step 24.
It is getting the brake handle off, and access to the 2 screws in photo 24 that are the most tiresome parts :tazz:
Take it easy and give yourself an hour or 2, including a break for a beer after the brake handle has succumbed!:Beer:

·
Registered
143 Posts
HUH?!?!?!?! Are you talking about removing the armrest door or the center console where the armrest sits on? If you are then you dont have to do anything with the radio or anything else! I just finished a job dropping in a new GPS so it did require removing the center console. Very easy simple job! Open the armrest, lift up the felt, two screws, undo those....take off the hand brake rubber handle off (slips right off) then get a plastic knife like object and pry the chrome ring around the gear shifter. That should pop right up. After that you will see I believe four screws holding in the console. Remove those and bam, job is done! I had to do it about 5 or 6 times due to measurements and part placement etc...it took me about 10-15 min to get this thing removed. The lock on the console is air controlled, just so you know. There is a yellow air line running to it. I presume thats what took a dump on ya.

Hope someone else can buzz in and either confirm or deny what I just said hahahahah

Ski

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
I also read somewhere that if you are having a hard time getting the hand brake cover off... rather than fighting with it, just cut if off and replace it with a new one. They are not that expensive.

Post pics of what you are doing for future SLK owners!:hail:

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rather than cut it or shoot WD-40 between the rubber and the handle, try using a blow dryer to warm up the rubber, this will expand it and should slip right off. If you are using a 'heat ***' that is used for paint stripping, be careful not to melt it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.