Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,423 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh, that's a good write-up. I should've thought to look on the crossfire forum. Mind you, I found it impossible to rotate the alternator more than about 5 degrees, never mind 45 degrees. The bottom mount is held between two jaws of the engine casting (as alternators are) and it's held really tight. I managed to push the bush of the upper mount back, so that one was very loose, but I couldn't get enough room to do the lower mount, and even if I had, that would only have retreated half a mm or so.

So I took the water pump out today. LOADS o' room now! New alternator will be here early to mid next week, as well as a new water pump gasket. I wish I'd done that first. I've done the water pump before, so no learning curve, easy job. No stress and frustration.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
7,882 Posts
you might have ATF pipes in the way to get it out from underneath
Now you've said that, although my memory isn't what it was, that makes perfect sense ;)
That is why I mentioned undoing and jacking the Engine ......... Of the handful I've done on R170 some of those customers had Manuals, and some had Autos, (none have 4 Cylinder cars), therefore I would be willing to bet the ones I did without undoing the Mount were Manual Trans Cars ;)

·
7,882 Posts
Yes, I think the consensus here is Auto Transmission is a real beast and Manual G/Box is a bit of a beast 🤣

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Yes, I think the consensus here is Auto Transmission is a real beast and Manual G/Box is a bit of a beast 🤣
Well, actually, if I'd known what I know now (for me, easier to remove the water pump), it would all be done by now. I'd just accept it and it wouldn't be hard. I spent almost a day trying to work out how to get the alternator out, based on instructions that didn't appear to relate to my car.

I accept this as a price I pay for being a novice. I'm not too bad a repairing things but I acknowledge I don't have the experience of a professional. And I know my limits. Removing a water pump (whether required or not) made it easy and saved me a few hundred dollars by not having to take it to a repair shop.

Mind you, the new alternator isn't back in place yet. :unsure:

·
7,882 Posts
The biggest issue with Pump removal is the Coolant passage Sealing between Timing Case and Block, IIRC Pump removal entails removing 2 off longer bolts that go through the Case either side of that seal and I know for a fact that at least 2 folks on forums have ended up with Coolant getting into their Oil ...............

I know not whether hammers and pry bars etc were also involved, but whilst, as @Australian correctly says, it is not a bad job to R & I a Pump, i would only risk it if the Pump actually needs replaced, because if you then have to remove Timing Case to reseal the bugger, as Petri found out, that is a bloody nightmare of a job ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Could that be anything to do with putting the wrong bolts in the wrong hole? There are an awful lot of bolts on this water pump, and many (many, many) different diameters and lengths. If you put too long a bolt in the wrong hole...............?

·
7,882 Posts
The one I had to sort out for the local tight fisted git who declined my quote, FIY'd it and screwed his V6 C class up wasn't ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts