Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, Mercedes emblems and badges never fall off....but apparently Saab ones do. So sorry, not strictly an SLK question, but any thoughts on the best way to re-attach small individual plastic letters ("A e r o"). Having picked this car up a few days ago for very little money, two were hanging by a thread, with the other two close behind, so I have now removed them all and cleaned up the paintwork, but now not sure how to proceed in a reliable fashion!

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,846 Posts
Spellchecker let me dawn

dawn? like the dish washing liquid?

·
Registered
227 Posts
3M Plastic And Emblem Adhesive 08061 most auto stores. Clear fast drying, just hold in place a few minutes to half an hour with a piece of the better paint masking tape, fingers tend to move it around smearing the glue. Glue does create strings that float on the air and ruin what they touch.

BTW: Way to remove the letters is to saw between the emblem and car with waxed dental floss.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
3M Plastic And Emblem Adhesive 08061 most auto stores. Clear fast drying, just hold in place a few minutes to half an hour with a piece of the better paint masking tape, fingers tend to move it around smearing the glue. Glue does create strings that float on the air and ruin what they touch.

BTW: Way to remove the letters is to saw between the emblem and car with waxed dental floss.
Using glue to attach cars emblems / logo ?

You use double sided foam tape end off 3M or M3 as some call it now . >:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Some of us like to debadge and pull them off. Wish mine would have fell off, would have been easier. Be a shame to cover that spot back up after you worked so hard to clean it:grin: But if you must 3M is your best alternative, get right width and cut to size.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Make sure paint surface is really clean and free of wax or grim before applying badge.
Always give last minute alcohol wipe.

Check original sales brochures to get exact badge position.

The eye is very good at noticing when badges are even slightly out of position.

If I was looking to buy a car and saw any error in the badging, my mind immediately thinks.....major rear end crash repair,
Which for an SLK would be a show stopper, for me.

So badges have to be either not there, or perfectly correct.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I can assure you there was no tape under the SLK320 on my 2002.

3M makes and sells both, so it's buyer's choice.

3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive 08061 - 3M Auto

3M? Automotive Exterior Attachment Tape 38583 - 3M Auto
All merc badges on boots are attached using 3M double sided foam tape or mercs 3M alternative ( Wurth to a quality product to )
They do not use glue !
In fact no car Manufacture attaches emblems using glue for many years .......

So double sided foam tape is the only choice as it can be removed afterwards with no paint damage following an error or repositioning etc

·
Registered
227 Posts
All merc badges on boots are attached using 3M double sided foam tape or mercs 3M alternative ( Wurth to a quality product to )
They do not use glue !
In fact no car Manufacture attaches emblems using glue for many years .......

So double sided foam tape is the only choice as it can be removed afterwards with no paint damage following an error or repositioning etc
OK, I'll bite, how many is many years, less then 15? I agree that if you buy newerish it's going to come with the tape.

Chrome Number Letters Trunk Emblem Sticker for Mercedes Benz SLK Class SLK320 | eBay

Interesting the seller says you need to use a heat gun to apply with 3M tape.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. Not being able to find any 3M tape locally, and being slightly impatient, I went for Harris Number Plate fixing tape from my local Halford. At 12mm wide, it was a bit of a fiddle trimming it around the letters, but I got there in the end. Not absolutely perfect, but there you go!

Attachments

·
Banned
974 Posts
Bit too late for you but when this has happened I buy the small pads sold for securing interior mirrors to windscreens.
The pads are small & expensive but nearly as thin as 3M tape. Because of their intended use the glue is super strong.
Pre-cleaning the bodywork surface is essential, just a wipe of alcohol methylated spirits is sufficient, but resist a few glugs as you admire your handy-work.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My 3M Press and Place adhesive strips arrived yesterday which I ordered from Amazon. A bit more expensive than the tape but a darn sight easier and cleaner to use.

Start watching at 2 minutes in....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts