Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I've searched, and everywhere I see it says to partially open roof, and there are three screws on each side (9) to release headliner.

How do you do this if you can't open the roof? (aka I'm rebuilding the cylinders). Is there a way to manually unlock the front? or do I juist need to take a razer blade to the headliner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is a way to manually operate the top. I've never done it, so I won't comment on exactly how, but I think it might even be in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,442 Posts
There should be something that looks like an allen wrench in the boot. In the top in the center about 4 inches from the front is a plug in the headliner that you remove and use the wrench to unlock the top from the windsheild. You will need to follow the directions in the manual on how to open the top by hand. Things like release the preassure on the system, open the boot so the top will be able to start folding into it, plus other items.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see in the manual it says how to "close" the roof... so I should do the same thing to "open" it in reverse?

I will do that. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There should be an allen wrench in the trunk on the right behind the removable panel covering the main hydraulics unit for the top.

I *think* this will work:

1) Use the allen wrench to release pressure in the hydraulic system by loosening the plug that's on the side of the hydraulic unit facing the inside of the trunk. This is discussed in the manual.

2) Unlock the top where it connects to the top of the windshield. There's a single hex nut located in the top near the windshield in the middle. It's behind a small plastic cover which can be removed with finger nail or flat bladed screwdriver. I think you turn counterclockwise to unlock, but check the manual on this too.

3) With the pressure released and the top unlocked you should be able to move it to any position you want. It probably won't remain in that position without external support, but at least you've got it open.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is also a trunk release cable inside each side panel of the trunk. These release the hinge latches so the trunk lid can be pivoted to the rear. I wouldn't try to open the top without the trunk opened to the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.