Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I place the jack to jack both sides of the rear end at the same time.?

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
probably under the differential but I wouldn't do that. too much weight

Lifting rear end

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably under the differential but I wouldn't do that. too much weight

Lifting rear end
Did a search and found many was to do it.
The diff is one that was recommend nod in the manual.
But if I put my jack under there I can't move the handle.
I'm going to buy some ramps. And a bigger jack.
Thanks,
G

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Did a search and found many was to do it.
The diff is one that was recommend nod in the manual.
But if I put my jack under there I can't move the handle.
I'm going to buy some ramps. And a bigger jack.
Thanks,
G
Yeah, I can't find a better alternative than the differential and that's the procedure listed in the manual.

I bought a hockey puck and this Harbor Freight jack 68050:

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack

It hasn't arrived yet but I believe this should work for my non-AMG R171.

I may change my approach once I actually get into the garage and really look at what is possible.

Edit - I will be using jack stands of course.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I can't find a better alternative than the differential and that's the procedure listed in the manual.

I bought a hockey puck and this Harbor Freight jack 68050:

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack

It hasn't arrived yet but I believe this should work for my non-AMG R171.

I may change my approach once I actually get into the garage and really look at what is possible.

Edit - I will be using jack stands of course.
Hey, thanks for the info on the jack.. We have a HF here in town so I think I'll drive over and pick one up.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought the jack from HF on sale for $84.00 had the jack stands already.
Got the car up and got under it only to find that the parts I was told needed to be replaced had nothing wrong with them.
So now I need to send the part back. Pisses me off that they would try to rip me off to the tune of $1400.
Now I have to see if the hubs are really bad.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Bought the jack from HF on sale for $84.00 had the jack stands already.
Got the car up and got under it only to find that the parts I was told needed to be replaced had nothing wrong with them.
So now I need to send the part back. Pisses me off that they would try to rip me off to the tune of $1400.
Now I have to see if the hubs are really bad.
Sorry to hear about someone trying to scam you.

How did the jack work out? Did it fit well for the front center jack point?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well as I said, I bought the jack and it worked out very well. I put a piece of wood on the jack before placing it under the differential to soften the contact point. Jacked it right up and placed the jack stands under the two rubber pads on either side of the car.
I couldn't find a good place to jack the front up all at once, so I did each side one at a time by placing the jack under the rubber pads on the front sides.
I put the stands under the front axel right next to the tire although I could have put them at the point where the swing arm meets the frame. I also saw a few places that looked like good spots on the frame but wasn't sure if that would be best.
Right now I'm cleaning up the diff so I can remove the drain plug and see if there is any fluid in there. Don't laugh, it looks like most of it was on the outside. I had to make a 14mm bit key socket to remove the plug, by cutting off a piece of 14mm Allen wrench I had and inserting it into a socket. Should work fine. I'll let you know how that works out.
While I have her on stands, I'm going to drane the trans and change the filter.
After all that, I'll lower the car and change the front wheel hubs for new ones. I think the bearings are shot.
There are lots of videos on U tube on how to do this.
I'll report back on all of this later. Or maybe start a new thread.
Thanks,
G

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear about someone trying to scam you.

How did the jack work out? Did it fit well for the front center jack point?

Thanks
Is your 320 a Auto or Manual trans? I'd love to see a write-up on a manual trans fluid change.

Rob
Sorry, but mine is an auto. I can't do shifting because of my left knee. It gets very sore after just a few minutes of shifting.
When I went to drain the trans I realized that someone had done it sometime in the past. The trans filler cap had a red locking tab and this would mean it had been serviced. I don't know if they changed the filter, but that would have been the norm. So I'll drive it for a while before I do it again.
Go to you tube for info on manual trans.
G

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
you can buy the locking tab at the dealer

for beer money ( half-pints anyway) I used to do it, until I realised that I was hanging onto the cars for years, and only telling myself that I had had the fluid done. So I stopped.

I wouldn't take it as an absolute bona fide marker that the fluid has been done.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for beer money ( half-pints anyway) I used to do it, until I realised that I was hanging onto the cars for years, and only telling myself that I had had the fluid done. So I stopped.

I wouldn't take it as an absolute bona fide marker that the fluid has been done.
Lol.
I agree, and will probably change it anyway since I have all the stuff to do it, including the red tab, and it would cost too much to send it all back.
I hear a whine that sounds like it's coming from the trans but I can't be sure,,,
I thought it might be the trans filter but not sure.
G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.