Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the illuminated star and thought I would share my steps, for others who (like me) are not electricians, mechanics or even very handy. I found this to be the safest and least intrusive method, with the only possible downside being that it always remains on and doesn't just go on with the DRL's or HL's.

This method uses an easy connection to the fuse box. I chose this method because it doesn't require splicing into either the DRL or HID HL wiring, which I was concerned about for two reasons. First, I didn't want to do anything that would potentially void the warranty. Second, the HID HLs are high voltage and temperamental. Also, on the AMG's the access to the DRL wiring requires removal of the tire and a cumbersome removal of the wheel base liner.

The hardest part to my method was figuring out which fuse to tap into, as I found that many of them are always on (not switched when the car turns on) so the light would never shut off and eventually drain the battery. I was limited to a fuse that was 10 amp or less by the fuse tap specifications. I finally discovered Fuse 36, which controls the Distronic ability. This one works great. Note that the use of the fuse tap doesn't affect the existing fuse, it just pulls power and routes through an additional (3 amp) fuse. See the picture attached of the fuse tap and the two spots for inserting the fuse from spot 36 and a new 3 amp fuse for the Star.

So first thing - I bought the LED Illuminated Star from RXMotor off of Amazon. I believe it is made by SMK Wholesale and sold by RXMotor. It was about $110. It is the one that is for the 2013-2015 GLK W204 - which fits our car perfectly.

Tools/Supplies Needed: (See photo below.) Wire strippers, some extra 18ga wire, an ATC Fuse Tap for up to 10 amp fuses, a 3amp ATC fuse, a terminal connector, some heat shrink tubing, some electrical tape (high temperature) and a soldering gun with electrical (resin core) solder. All these supplies were available at my neighborhood auto parts store.

Preparation:
1) Open the hood (bonnet) and remove the existing front bumper star by firmly grasping the black plastic part and turning 1/4 turn counter clockwise.

2) Cut a length of spare wire, enough to run from the fuse box down the side of the engine compartment (following the cabling that runs there), across the front of the bumper assembly, down into the hole behind the star. It is fine to cut it long for now.

3) Strip one end of the wire so there is approximately .25 inch of wire exposed.

4) Cut off the crimp connector attached to the fuse tap wire and strip .25 inch off the end of the wire. Note, you can use the crimp connector alternatively, but I was told that soldering the wires together is a much better option. If you want to avoid soldering, it is possible to do so.

5) Slide on a heat shrink sleeve (cut to ~ 1.5 inches) to the fuse tap wire, then twist the stripped end of the fuse tap wire to the stripped end of the spare wire.

6) Solder the wires together, slide the heat shrink wrap in place and warm to shrink to wire. (I used a heat gun, but a lighter works just as well.) Tape all with high temperature electrical tape.

7) There are two wires from the Illuminated Star. Use a razor blade to open the black wire casing to expose a longer length of the red and black wire. Attach the terminal connector to the black wire, using the crimp connector. (I did not solder this one, as it is the ground.) Tape up with the electrical tape. (See photo below.)

That's it - you are ready to begin the installation. See Part II for those instructions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How To Install Illuminated Star - Always On (Part II)

Ok, now that your wires are ready, here are the simple installation steps.

1) Open the fuse box (undo three clamps) and remove cover. Set the fuse tap assembly in the fuse box but DON'T insert yet.

2) Pull the wire under the engine compartment covers and down into the Star opening. I routed through the hole around the hood / bonnet latch. See picture below for how I routed. I taped the wire to the underneath of the plastic cover and to some of the existing wiring to keep things tidy.

3) Put a heat shrink wrap onto the red wire from the Star and then strip both the end of the red wire from the Star and the wire you feed down into the hole from the fuse box -- about .25 inch on either end. Solder the wires together, shrink the heat wrap, and tape the entire area. (Note: if you aren't comfortable soldering, you can use a butt connector and crimp.)

4) Connect the ground (black wire) to a screw. Note that on my car, there was an empty screw hole at the back of the Star opening. I found a screw that fit it and inserted it through the terminal connector on the ground wire and screwed it into this hole. (See photo below.)

5) Gather the red and black wires and tie together with a cable tie. Put into cavity and reinsert the Illuminated Star.

6) At the fuse box, remove the #36 fuse (10 amp). Put this fuse into the bottom fuse location on the fuse tap. Insert the 3 amp fuse you bought into the top fuse location on the fuse tap. Reinsert this fuse tap assembly into the #36 fuse location.

7) Test by turning the ignition on to the second position.

8) If functional, carefully thread the wire through the fuse box and put the fuse box cover back on. Note, I just fed the wire down the side, as I didn't want to drill a hole in the fuse box or anything. The wire is a bit crimped, but should be okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks buddy. I also wanted to fit one of these LED stars but like you did not want to cut or splice any of my existing wiring. I had never heard of a 'fuse tap' until I read your write up. It made fitting so easy and I also used the same earth point as you. Thanks again.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Good write up ...

Thanks ... (and a bit easier than fitting one to a R171!!!)

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Slight improvement: the fusebox has a hole on the bottom (towards the cabin), you can route your wire through there.

Soldering in general is always a better idea than scotch locks, but in this case I would have opted for a connector in between so it can be easily removed when needed.

Good write up!

·
Registered 2019 SLC300
46 Posts
Your instruction is ver clear and easy to follow, I got mine install and looks great with total cost less than $100

Thanks,
Charlie

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts
Hello, just so i am clear. The black wire is ground and the red is power from the fuse box?
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could I use the same methods to a CLA250? I have the star already and it's a cheap one that's suppose to be spliced into the DRLs. I know my fuse location is different, but would I also use a 3amp fuse as well or something different? I don't think I need a fuse tap because I have some empty spaces. And the picture below is where I'm installing it into my fuse box

·
94,201 Posts
Actually I think I have to use a 5amp fuse
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instead of buying the overpriced OEM illuminated star I got the 30$ Ali version

Fits fine. Did replace the wires with heat proof ones but not needed. Also used extra silicone sealant on the weatherproof plugs as I don't trust the Chinese to use quality. Per the photos: the light color is in sync with the headlights on my c300 2015.
Just in case someone is wondering about the look of the aftermarket ones.

Attachments

·
94,201 Posts
Fits fine. Did replace the wires with heat proof ones but not needed. Also used extra silicone sealant on the weatherproof plugs as I don't trust the Chinese to use quality. Per the photos: the light color is in sync with the headlights on my c300 2015.
Just in case someone is wondering about the look of the aftermarket ones.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG, 1998 SLK230
85 Posts
Great write up by ApexAMG on star install. However, for those who would like to do a simple five minute wiring install for the illuminated star. Please do the following:

1. Buy a Hooshion car led controller daytime running light lamp DRL auto on/off switch controller 12 volt. (cost: $10.00 or so at Amazon.com).
2. Hook up red wire to positive battery terminal. Hook up black wire to negative battery terminal. Connect its output wires to the positive and negative connectors for the Illuminated Star.
3.. Start car. Star should light up. Turn off engine, Star should auto turn off after approx 10 seconds. No complicated wiring schemes or routing wires to fuse box, or looking for a switched outlet of cable wire.
4. I have been using mine for months with no issues. works great. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great write up by ApexAMG on star install. However, for those who would like to do a simple five minute wiring install for the illuminated star. Please do the following:

1. Buy a Hooshion car led controller daytime running light lamp DRL auto on/off switch controller 12 volt. (cost: $10.00 or so at Amazon.com).
2. Hook up red wire to positive battery terminal. Hook up black wire to negative battery terminal. Connect its output wires to the positive and negative connectors for the Illuminated Star.
3.. Start car. Star should light up. Turn off engine, Star should auto turn off after approx 10 seconds. No complicated wiring schemes or routing wires to fuse box, or looking for a switched outlet of cable wire.
4. I have been using mine for months with no issues. works great. Hope this helps someone.

Will this illuminate the star when you just unlock the door via the remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, now that your wires are ready, here are the simple installation steps.

1) Open the fuse box (undo three clamps) and remove cover. Set the fuse tap assembly in the fuse box but DON'T insert yet.

2) Pull the wire under the engine compartment covers and down into the Star opening. I routed through the hole around the hood / bonnet latch. See picture below for how I routed. I taped the wire to the underneath of the plastic cover and to some of the existing wiring to keep things tidy.

3) Put a heat shrink wrap onto the red wire from the Star and then strip both the end of the red wire from the Star and the wire you feed down into the hole from the fuse box -- about .25 inch on either end. Solder the wires together, shrink the heat wrap, and tape the entire area. (Note: if you aren't comfortable soldering, you can use a butt connector and crimp.)

4) Connect the ground (black wire) to a screw. Note that on my car, there was an empty screw hole at the back of the Star opening. I found a screw that fit it and inserted it through the terminal connector on the ground wire and screwed it into this hole. (See photo below.)

5) Gather the red and black wires and tie together with a cable tie. Put into cavity and reinsert the Illuminated Star.

6) At the fuse box, remove the #36 fuse (10 amp). Put this fuse into the bottom fuse location on the fuse tap. Insert the 3 amp fuse you bought into the top fuse location on the fuse tap. Reinsert this fuse tap assembly into the #36 fuse location.

7) Test by turning the ignition on to the second position.

8) If functional, carefully thread the wire through the fuse box and put the fuse box cover back on. Note, I just fed the wire down the side, as I didn't want to drill a hole in the fuse box or anything. The wire is a bit crimped, but should be okay.

So impressed with this guide I decided to order the Star myself :grin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts