Status
Not open for further replies.

How to identify your Head unit

22K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Avel Du 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to identify your Head unit

View attachment 586659

COMAND-APS (NTG1)

The W211 E class was first introduced in 2002 where the audio system was completely revamped. The D2B audio network was replaced with a new faster system called MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) which in theory could carry video.

With the introduction of the MOST bus based system, the name was changed to COMAND-APS and the option code 527 is now used for COMAND. To add confusion, the COMAND 2.0 MOPF also had option code 527 and was known as COMAND-APS, then Mercedes started calling even the older COMAND2.0 COMAND-APS.

It was introduced into the W220 S class and W215 CL class for Model Year 2004, the R230 SL for Model Year 2005 and the SLK from launch.

The NTG1 was the first DVD based system, and thus the map disk carries a whole region (for instance Europe) on a single DVD. This makes life simpler, but the disks are about twice the cost of purchasing a single country DX disk for the COMAND 2 systems.

The MOST system (and thus the NTG1 system consisted of 3 seperate devices, the AGW (Audio Gateway), the head unit (COMAND) and the navigation processor. The AGW contains the FM/AM tuner(s), the amplifer, the MOST bus master controller and the diagnostic gateway for diagnosis and configuration.

The telephone system. voice recogntiion, CD changer, Harmon Karden premium sound system and TV tuners also connect to the MOST bus to route audio in/out of the system. In the case of the HK sound system, the HK amplifer contains the AGW and replaces the standard AGW.

The navigation processor is always in the boot (trunk) of the car, and the AGW is also often hidden in the boot of the car or under passenger feet in the SLK.

NTG1 was fitted up until Model Year 2009 in the W220 S, W215 CL, R230 SL, W211 E, W219 CLS, R171 SLK vehicles.

The NTG1 head unit (COMAND) can play DVD and MP3 loaded CD/DVDs also.

Most parts of the NTG1 system are made by Becker (for European vehicles). However, in the S/CL/SLK/SL it is made by Siemens (and North American systems are made by Siemens).

The W211 E, W219 CLS, R171 SLK have auxilary audio inputs but the W220 S, W215 CL, R30 SL do not and thus the Mercedes iPod interface will not work in the S/CL/SL.

The NTG1 uses proprietary map disks, which although the maps are made by Teleatas and Navteq have to be supplied via Mercedes benz. Mercedes use a coloured flash on their map disk packaging, NTG1 disks have a Green stripe. Currently the map disks only support 5 digit post codes in the UK.

jbanks15 edit:

You are being redirected...

another COMAND ID link:

http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+++All+about+the+different+Mercedes+COMAND+systems-article-54.html

Info on the different Comand units

http://www.navigps.lt/store/bin/fckeditor/MB.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For the newbies! :D

#3 ·
Guys Thanks,

I need to clarify. being new to Mb and the terminology I thought my unit wasn't comand because I don't all the multimedia functions. I can only use voice commands to enter nav requests, it doesn't read texts and there is no interaction with the internet and apps. Can a new head unit, screen and coding provide that? Thanks for all the resources, i should probably drill through all them before asking anymore questions.

Mike

#5 ·
Guys Thanks,

I need to clarify. being new to Mb and the terminology I thought my unit wasn't comand because I don't all the multimedia functions. I can only use voice commands to enter nav requests, it doesn't read texts and there is no interaction with the internet and apps. Can a new head unit, screen and coding provide that? Thanks for all the resources, i should probably drill through all them before asking anymore questions.

Mike
It would be useful if you ask for your datacard which would detail what exactly your car has and help answer your questions. You can do this by posting a request with your VIN number in the datacard part of the forum.

#4 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.