Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My financial adviser told me that no way should I pay full price for a new car.
He put me in touch with a car broker to whom I gave all the details (over the phone) of the car along with extras. The broker sent me an email with his quote which gave 8% off the car price with optional extras not included in the discount.

The car broker was based in England about 400 miles away from me so I decided it better to go back to the dealer where I tested the car.
I went back to the salesman (with a copy of the e-mail) and asked for a price reduction. He informed me that since I was buying the "Sports Edition" he couldn't reduce the price and that if I didn't buy it then someone else would.

I asked to speak to someone less arrogant and ended up walking away with my 8% discount.:rb
They made a big deal about me speaking to the financial director as if he was going to offer me a great deal. I think this is a tactic they use to make you feel important.
I was told that fleet buyers get no more than 8% off the price so they couldn't give me better than that.

Please note: Car Salesmen will say ANYTHING to get you to buy the car there and then, DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING THEY SAY!

Please leave any tactics you have used to get a better deal on your car.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
There was another member long time ago that only buys from brokers, actually, here in the states, you get about the same % off if you the dealer is willing to negotiate and you get a better deal if you are willing to pick it up in Germany.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought my Sport edition from a Broker on line delivered to my door step as promised and no problems. Yes I got an 8% discount but I did pay cash. I had the same line from my dealer they are so arrogant and only wanted to sell me a high priced credit plan. I don't think they are so happy now as I drive past them every morning and they know I have got one.

The sport is a lovely car and good value. I had the third one in the UK and first 280. I am sure you can get one from a Broker even now.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
you can get the same deal from the sales, but you have to develop a relationship with your salesperson. if not, the cheapest way is to go through a broker....BUT, what if you need some advice? some help? some freebies? the only way is to go through a salesperson....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my SLK350 on a lease through a dealer, but I did get several lease quotes from brokers who were quite a bit cheaper than the original dealer quote. I took the broker quotes to the dealer, spoke to the financial director who said he would match the broker quotes if he could get permission from head office - which they did so I got the car from the dealer.

I don't know what the overall price difference was, as all I was interested in was monthly repayments, they matched the brokers repayments and terms by fiddling with the interest rates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.