Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of a 1999 SLK230. The car currently has 17" rims, with 225 45Z R17 on the front, and 245 40Z R17 on the back. There is no spare. I believe the car originally had 16" rims. Can someone tell me what spare to buy? It seems the OEM space saver spare tire was a smaller rim size. You can see how little I understand about this, sorry!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

from your vin, we should be able to get that part number

then you order from mb or any oem mb website

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confused

OK. I think I've done what you asked. I posted an introduction, and requested a "data card".

Perhaps I'm confused, or I'm not being clear. If I understand correctly, the tires that are on my 1999 SLK230 are not the standard size tires for this vehicle. If I get the OEM space saver tire, it won't match the size of these tires. Maybe I'm just completely confused. How can I get a spare tire that will match the tires that are currently on the vehicle? THANKS -- Jon

·
98,389 Posts
from your datacard, you car originally came with 17 inch wheels

794 AMG-WHEELS 7,5 X 17 SQUEEZE-IN DEPTH 37 VA 225/45

·
98,389 Posts
picture number 41 your spare tire part number is

41** A 170 400 01 00** DISC WHEEL
SPARE WHEEL MIT FALTREIFEN
Code: 669 **
001**

code 669 spare wheel/folding wheel

part number in attached pdf

Attachments

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
I have just looked at the one I took out of my car

because despite it being unused, it was too old to trust, as the rubber has hardened and it probably won't blow up.

My car (2001 SLK 320) also came with the SLK320 17" staggered wheel set up, and the spare was as follows:-

A170 401 06 02 Vredestein SpaceMaster 165/70-16 with a 10 hole design. This will fit with the standard wheel bolts holding the 'real' wheels on.

There is another design of spacesaver, which I think has 5 holes. That requires special bolts as the alloy ones will be too long and will munch the parking brake mechanism.

So, my advice is contact MB dealer, quote your vin no at them, and see if they come back with that part number as mentioned.

I would shy away from any ebay sale type ones, as if they are from a car which is being broken ( usual scenario) the tyre will probably have gone off and be unreliable. You should also have an air compressor which runs from the cigar lighter, and a big plastic bag to put your swapped wheel into, and a valve core tool to deflate the spare and get it back in its hole. :nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question. I got new tires, and the mechanic said one of my rear rims is cracked. It seems to be riding OK, but I would like to replace the rim. The rear tires are wider than the front tires. Does that mean the rear rims are different than the front rims, or are all 4 rims the same? They're 17" and labeled "AMG" but that's all I know. THANKS

·
98,389 Posts
mb rims are staggered meaning the front are smaller, maybe 225 than the rears, maybe 245 and cannot be rotated between the front and the rear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.