Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new in the forum (I had presented myself in other message) and I am a very happy new owner of an 11 years old R170 SLK200.

As some of you have experienced, my third brake light is not working. I think it is a common fault due to some corrosion to the electric contacts (none of the strip lights is working), so I want to clean the contacts.

I would appreciate a lot if you can explain to me in detail how to dissasembly the light. I think I have to take it off from the inside of the trunk. I have found a plastic cover in the trunk, secured by 3 round points. I suppose they are fixed by pressure but I fear I can break something if I apply too much pressure. Any indication of the procedure for dissasembly and bringing the light to life will be very welcomed. I have searched the forum but with no result.

Thanks a lot!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:The R171 third brake light has easy access. The R170 should be just as easy. Referencing the post Woolly provided, are the plastic fasteners the same? If so, they're two piece. Use a small flat tip screwdriver to pry up and pull out the center piece, and then the same with the remaining piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I think the fasteners are not the same. In the R170 they are circular and with a plastic ring surrounding them. Perhaps I have to take out the plastic ring first, I don't know. If some one can enlight me...

Thanks!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I think the fasteners are not the same. In the R170 they are circular and with a plastic ring surrounding them. Perhaps I have to take out the plastic ring first, I don't know. If some one can enlight me...

Thanks!
Perhaps post a photo of the retaining plug, then someone may be able to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.