Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Registered
1997 SLK230K
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members
Recently I removed the steering wheel on my 1997 R170 to tighten the indicator/speed control lever combination. This required removal of the driver’s air bag. After reassembly the SRS warning light has remained constantly on every time the vehicle is in operation.

An old post by someone called Dehning referred to a tool that he bought for $42 that cleared the SRS code. The link to that post is srs light help. This thread is no longer active.
Unfortunately the link to the item that Dehning posted does not work anymore.
I was hoping that someone on this form may be able to help.

Thanks

·
Founding Member 2006
113,504 Posts
did you turn your steering wheel to the left and to the right as covered in owner's manual? :D

·
Founding Member 2006
113,504 Posts
I get confused easily these days :D

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
Don't we all :ROFLMAO:
Looking at some of the posts here and BW this morning it's no wonder ...............

Best one here by far is a 4 pot R170 that's Idling at 7000 rpm 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: jbanks15 and M4rCu5

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
42,084 Posts
Dear Members
Recently I removed the steering wheel on my 1997 R170 to tighten the indicator/speed control lever combination. This required removal of the driver’s air bag. After reassembly the SRS warning light has remained constantly on every time the vehicle is in operation.

An old post by someone called Dehning referred to a tool that he bought for $42 that cleared the SRS code. The link to that post is srs light help. This thread is no longer active.
Unfortunately the link to the item that Dehning posted does not work anymore.
I was hoping that someone on this form may be able to help.

Thanks

Sadly Dehning has not been on for nearly 10 years, so little can be done. Sorry.

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,321 Posts
The correct tool is SDS which does do everything, no other machine will.

The machines like Foxwell and iCs might actually reset an SRS Airbag Code, but they certainly don't do everything needed with these cars.

Pro Garage Machines like Snap On and high end Launch / Autel should too if you want to try local garages.

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,598 Posts
The correct tool is SDS which does do everything, no other machine will.

The machines like Foxwell and iCs might actually reset an SRS Airbag Code, but they certainly don't do everything needed with these cars.

Pro Garage Machines like Snap On and high end Launch / Autel should too if you want to try local garages.
The iCS MB range definitely DO reset the SRS on Post-FL models ;) but with the Pre-FL needing the 38pin lead as well, it might be more cost effective to take it to MB in this instance 🤷‍♂️

1 - 8 of 8 Posts