Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have white scuff marks on my black dashboard and glove compartment and am trying to figure out the best way to clean the interior (never had a car with this funky texture material before!!!...lol)

Any one been sucessful in cleaning it without leaving any residue or damaging the texture???

Thanks for responding!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,520 Posts
moving to caring for your slk. try a search if u haven't

·
97,520 Posts
i use meguiars' gold leather conditioner on it.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Absolutely - use a damp, lightly soaped microfiber towel "wash" everything down, and then another damp, NOT soaped microfiber towel to remove any traces of soap.

Finish with another microfiber towel with a bit of AeroSpace 303 on it.

TIP - AeroSpace 303 at the Car Parts place is expensive, and in a small bottle. AeroSpace 303 at West Marine is sold in a big bottle, and about 1/5 the price.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Meguiar's make the car detailing products for MB USA
& I'd recomend them.
I also use Aerospace 303 for the plastic & rubber seals on my SLK.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I humbly suggest that you all have the wrong answers!! If you are as old as Flossy (!!) you might remember that the 2004/5 R171s were produced with a weird, crumbly material for the dash. If you just 'brush' your hand against it, it leaves a white mark. No one could figure out how to clean it, and MB changed it, sometime in 2005 for a more 'conventional' plastic.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hmm Woolly - I've never noticed your dash being different from mine - you mind posting up a picture?
I'll take a close up, hi-res photo tomorrow. Possibly the best way of describing it is like a very fine textured cinder toffee/pumice/lava rock. The interstices of the material trap any cleaning potions, leaving it in a worse mess than that with which you started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woolly

Did you get a chance to post the dashboard picture?

I'm still confused as to best way to clean the 2005 dash.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just giving this a kick as I too am wanting to clean this same textured dash type, has anyone found a solution? As wooly correctly pointed out it looks like the sort of material where using the wrong items could make it look a lot worse.:confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I actually thought my dash was made of rubber :O It's soft(ish) to the touch, you can press it in if you push hard with your fingers.

Might be some kind of plastic rubber composite maybe? Either way, it's a bitch to clean... Almost any cleaning product leaves a mark, I just use a very slightly damp microfibre cloth with no product on it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yup, thats the same as mine, as you say not easy to clean, it looks as though it needs one of those cleaners which has an oxygen type bubbling action to get deep into the crevices for a good clean. Had a few suggestions but nothing definitive. Am going to order some of the Armour interior cleaner and see how that works, nearly bought some from halfords but that had a gloss finish and I think I would prefer matt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive got the same dashboard. I think the previous owner used to apply make up in my car and there is much dirt trapped in the porous dash.

Anyone have any idea how to clean it off?

I found a photo by Caboz that shows the texture of the dash we are referring too - I think? its hard to judge now that I'm looking at it again

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I do with my 'cinder' dash is 1st off I attach a brush to my hoover and brush/hoover as much as I can, then I use a damp micro cloth and slowly wipe the rest, looks ok, but not 'good as new'.

·
97,520 Posts
Steve, fyi, Birds has not been back since: Last Activity: 06-29-2014

Been using this for 3 slks and 12 years:
meguiars' gold leather conditioner on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry, my question wasn't specifically directed at Birds. He should come back though! haha

I've seen several users mention 303 but they have several. I have some Meguiars. I may try that. Thanks!

·
97,520 Posts
just an fyi in case it was.

It shines the dash subtly but not oily or greasy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.