Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a partial ATF service on my SLK recently and put in the approximately three liters that I drained out. I wanted to check the fluid level to make sure it was correct, but ran into a problem. The SLK has the same transmission, 722.6, as my '99 diesel and I have the correct dipstick to check it on the '99. However, on the SLK, the transmission fill tube has a whole lot more twists and turns than the '99 and I don't see how I can use this same dipstick even though it is somewhat flexible. Is there a different dipstick to use on the SLK or do I just try to force the one I have? I'd sure like to make sure I have the fluid level correct. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
Len,

For the pre-FL 170's at least, there is a "transmission fluid level tool" (~$20) that you can find and buy online - it looks like a dipstick, but it's much longer - you don't leave it in permanently, you remove it after checking your fluid level. You'll have to break the locking tab (red item at the top of the tube) in order to remove the plug at the top of the tube, so you should buy one of those too. It's not 100% necessary to replace the locking tab but I would ($0.50 each).

The idea with this tool is you measure the "height of the fluid above the floor of the pan", and you have to make the measurement when the transmission is a certain temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have what I thought was the right tool - been using it on my '99 diesel for years, but it just seems like there are too many turns in the SLK's fill tube. Sure would like to hear from someone who has used this tool and found that it does work. I tried to force it down the fill tube, but it seemed to take a little more force at one point that I wasn't willing to give it until I was sure.

Here is what I'm using:
722 6 Transmission Dipstick Tool Mercedes C280 C43 C240 | eBay

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
That looks like the same one I've got. I do have to give a slight push to get it through to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like the same one I've got. I do have to give a slight push to get it through to the bottom.
Thanks Ed. I'll have to give it a little more muscle when I try it next time. I was afraid of breaking off the tip, so I wanted to make sure someone else had used it successfully before I "Conaned" it. :) I was pretty sure it was the right tool, but better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Idiot101
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.