Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere its not good to unplug battery without connecting another battery. Car shouldn't stay without battery they say (my car has LPG). So is it good to charge the battery direct without unplug the cables (+-)?
I tried to unplug cables one time and when i try to connect them back there were many sparks like when you weld (i connected them 100% right, lol).
So tell me what'sthe best way to charge it?

Ps. Sorry for the stupid question. My last car was 124 with no electronics.
Ps2. Sorry for my bad english.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I read somewhere its not good to unplug battery without connecting another battery. Car shouldn't stay without battery they say (my car has LPG). So is it good to charge the battery direct without unplug the cables (+-)?
I tried to unplug cables one time and when i try to connect them back there were many sparks like when you weld (i connected them 100% right, lol).

When my car is garaged for the winter I always charge the battery on the car using a good quality battery tender, not just a charger. A tender will only put in the charge the battery needs.

Reactions: Turborider

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Mine is on an Optimate that I used on my Motorbike for 12 years.
Always ready to go.
As above not a charger but a battery conditioner, Optimate and CTEK are good.
I have hard wired a plug (official accessory) on to my car so when I park it I just plug it in.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts

Remember, search is your friend

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/104329-battery-change-diy.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
In my local MB showroom they leave the display cars on charge with Ctek conditioning units which keeps the battery topped up which is what I use - good bit of kit!

·
97,223 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I can charge it without unpluggin car cables from the battery and should leave it few hours?
And there is no danger for electronics?
Thank you all!

·
97,223 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Mine is plugged in all the time it is parked up.
This can be a couple of weeks or more.
The conditioner takes control and keeps the battery in tip top order.
There is a connecting block on the left side when viewed from the front (uk)
It is black with a red cover, there is a spare connection behind the removable flap.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
another :tu: for CTEK.
It is what MB uses and sells (after putting on their branded sticker).

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Lol, thats what I need! I'll make one of these! Thank you!
If you purchase the CTEK kit, it should come with the quick-connect wires that can be "bolted" on the 10mm nut that clamps on the car battery "posts", as is illustrated on the link Jeff posted.

If a negative ground is nearby, I prefer using this rather than the negative "post" of the vehicle battery. No harm however if you use the negative "post" of the car battery. It just lessens the risk of creating a spark.

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
I have a set-up with my portable power pack that allows me to power the system thru the OBD port; can than disconnct battery and not lose any settings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.