·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I have changed my 12 spark plus 2 weeks ago
who invented the twin spark :(

I would say it is easy provided you have the good tools
dismantle the cover with air filters (the whole simply clipsed)
I think nobody tried without removing it :biglaugh:
dismantle the 3 spark coil on each side the wires A & B are well marked
the plugs cover were very difficult to remove after 12 years & 79.000 km

the tools
in Mecatechnic 15 € +15 €
Douille articulée pour bougies 16mm sur carré 3/8" | UO20097
Douille articulée 3/8 | UO20040
in Facom 100 € (new on Ebay)
FACOM ratchet ref J.6PB 3/8" with rotating lever
it is important that the plugs be locked in (bush) tool
here are some pictures

spark plug 4a LHD

spark plug 6b LHD

articulated bush & new FACOM 3/8 ratchet

the old the new box for the spark plug...

the screw of the coil is not of "captive" type
I did not remove the metal sheet for heat protection

I have read on other forum that it is HELL with standard tool

after hand washing, cold beer recommanded :Beer: not mandatory

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,243 Posts
Thanks and great pics! Moving to R170 diy section and sticky

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice stuff! Need to do mine shortly - found this write up as well. Has been tricky finding things for the 320.

(Not sure on linking so name has been removed. Mod please correct if that is ok)

BW

http://www.<otherforum>.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1586740-spark-plugs-transmission-fluid-change-slk320.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
putting the post in the right place

sorry for not putting the post in the right place...:confused:
English is not my mother tongue
DIY meant nothing to me I guess it is a "do it yourself"

there was a SLK230 spark bulb topic there...

tools are French e shop, but you should find equivalent in US, you have more choice there

to mount the spark plug exhaust system etc I use the same type of grease as this photo. My container as this pic is 30 years old...

this grease is used with steam in steam plant (I started to work there in maintenance dpt) it is available (new container) at Amazon.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
Plugs replaced!

I replaced the plugs in my '01 320 yesterday. Wish I would have had that socket drive tool! I struggled a bit using a 3" extension and a wobbly adapter, but it worked well enough to get the job done.
The local dealership wanted almost $500 to change the plugs; I did the job for less than $70 in about 4 hours time and performed some cleanup while I was at it. I'm pretty sure the old plugs were the original ones.

I found this tutorial to be helpful as well: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W203/ENGINE-Spark_Plugs_and_Coils/ENGINE-Spark_Plugs_and_Coils.htm

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to add...the idea is to pull the plug wires straight out as possible, not on an angle. The wrench method works well as long as it's leveraged to pull the wires in-line with the plugs. Do that and it's a 45 minute job. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First, Thx for this thread. Was helpful for doing my sparkplugs. I do want to add somthing I think will be helpful for those who replace their spark plug wires as well...if you get these:

Amazon.com: NGK (58410) EUC071 Spark Plug Wire Set: Automotive

They are good quality and less expensive than stock, but I wish I had looked more closely at the pictures. They do not have the "lip" that the factory cables do, which means there is nothing for the factory tool to grab to remove them when it is time...so I will have "fun" in 50K getting these off. YMMV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First, Thx for this thread. Was helpful for doing my sparkplugs. I do want to add somthing I think will be helpful for those who replace their spark plug wires as well...if you get these:

Amazon.com: NGK (58410) EUC071 Spark Plug Wire Set: Automotive

They are good quality and less expensive than stock, but I wish I had looked more closely at the pictures. They do not have the "lip" that the factory cables do, which means there is nothing for the factory tool to grab to remove them when it is time...so I will have "fun" in 50K getting these off. YMMV.

Apparently I cannot edit my own posts...anyway, I also wanted to add two more points:

1. I used these plugs. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PL2AZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I also replaced all the crankcase breather hoses...they definitely needed.

Overall, I think the engine is running much smoother now and am glad I did it. (did all this at 75K).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I called a few local shops and you are right. its a $500 job. I didn't want to do it because I read that the engine had to be raised on the 320. I actually saw video of the guy underneath disassembling the motor mounts. after reading this thread I think i'm going to try it. my old 98 slk230 was simple. if I can find that funny looking tool the guy posted would it be even easier? who sells them? i can barely read this

the tools
in Mecatechnic 15 € +15 €
Douille articulée pour bougies 16mm sur carré 3/8" | UO20097
Douille articulée 3/8 | UO20040
in Facom 100 € (new on Ebay)
FACOM ratchet ref J.6PB 3/8" with rotating lever

·
Banned
801 Posts
With two plugs/cylinder, you'll probably never need to remove the plugs. I believe they are good for 100K miles?

In any case, just checking your MPG and seeing it is reasonable would defer this task for years. I'd buy the NA 4-cylinder anyway. Much easier to service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well recently my 320 has developed a slight shimmy when I'm at the light with my foot on the brake or if I'm sitting in park at idle.them mechanic did a quick observation and said it could be plugs ands wires.its like every 15-20 secs you can feel it give a little shake.the car has 138k on it.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
4 Posts
5 years - but only 5,000 miles.

Last plug change was in 2012 by dealer and it ran $500+
We don't drive the car much - seasonal usage. Five years have passed, but we've only driven 5,000 miles in that time. We have slightly over 30,000 miles on this 2002 SLK 320.

Any thoughts on the five year limit on plugs. Is it possible they deteriorate even with little sparking? Guess I'm looking for an excuse to avoid the project!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,243 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
5 years - but only 5,000 miles.

Last plug change was in 2012 by dealer and it ran $500+
We don't drive the car much - seasonal usage. Five years have passed, but we've only driven 5,000 miles in that time. We have slightly over 30,000 miles on this 2002 SLK 320.

Any thoughts on the five year limit on plugs. Is it possible they deteriorate even with little sparking? Guess I'm looking for an excuse to avoid the project!
If it runs fine, I'd say you are good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts